The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   How do I tell my computer NO? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/how-do-i-tell-my-computer-282754/)

farmpony84 09-24-2013 08:50 PM

How do I tell my computer NO?

It gives me that stupid "I'm going to shut down in xx amount of minutes." With my old computer I could say, turn off later or don't turn off or whatever but this one doesn't give me a choice and I don't know how to find the option? It's Windows8.

Skyseternalangel 09-24-2013 09:03 PM

Is there a certain program that is trying to do that shut down or restart, or the actual computer scheduling it?

farmpony84 09-25-2013 10:22 PM

I'm not sure what was scheduling it. Is there a way I can look to see?

Skyseternalangel 09-25-2013 11:00 PM

Usually when the window pops up, it will show up in your task manager which can be accessed by doing control alt delete.

Could you take a screen shot? That would help to identify what is going on and we'd be able to provide more effective help.

Roperchick 09-25-2013 11:15 PM

also check your antivirus/internet protection. it may have an autoscheduled shutdown/sweep that you can turn off

DancingArabian 09-25-2013 11:59 PM

Sounds like its the automatic windows updates. I don't have windows 8 so I don't have a clue how to turn that off but I'm sure you could google it.
Posted via Mobile Device

2BigReds 09-28-2013 03:42 PM

What you really need is a big ol' sledgehammer! :lol:

Sorry I can't offer much help, I'm not great with computers either but I think some of the previous answers may have been spot on with the Windows automatic update. One of our computers at work was doing that for awhile, then it stopped (probably someone who actually knew what they were doing turned that option off somehow).

I'm a Mac user for personal stuff so I don't have that problem with my laptop, though all of my Microsoft Office programs seem to want to update on the daily and tend to interrupt the incredibly "important" things that I might be doing at any given time haha. :-P All computers have their quirks, though, so I'm certainly not here to say one or the other is better!

EdmontonHorseGal 09-28-2013 03:51 PM

i use windows 7, but i think all windows have an option where you can turn off automatic updates and such. go into control panel and take a peek.

here is a link i found for you: Windows automatic updating: Frequently asked questions

amberly 09-28-2013 04:03 PM

I have a windows 8 and I have the same issue. I actually clicked ask me later on one option somehow....didn't ask, just ruined my homework assignment and had to start over because it didn't save!

jinxremoving 09-28-2013 04:50 PM

I'm assuming this is related to Windows 8 wanting to apply updates, in which case this article will help you:

How To Stop Windows 8 Updates From Force Restarting Your PC | Redmond Pie

I followed a similar article for Windows 7 and haven't been happier since. While security updates should always be applied ASAP, I like to control when I reboot and not be forced into it. :)