The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

questions about western saddles

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  donovan 
#1 ·
can someone tell me how to tell if a western saddle fits correctley? i bought on and i dont want to put it on and ride if it dosent fit propperly. my only worry is it will be to wide so if it is can i put a riser pad under the saddle? Also do i need the back cinch on? i belive the saddle is a cowling?

#4 ·
I use a riser pad on mine because my horse has high withers and have to admit while Dusty likes it, I do not. Feels kinda squishy up front. Ilve decided a good thick pad with the wither cutout will do the trick. You might try that first... The rear cinch isn't generally require but I never ride without mine. Just feels right to me. Be sure an use the cross strap that connect the front and rear cinch. Otherwise the rear cinch can slide back and your horse may give you a less than desireable ride. Also if your horse is a male pay attention to the tag end of the cross strap as it can end up in strange places. Dusty was really light on his feet the day I learned about the tag end... Good luck?

#5 ·
thanks :) my horse is a VERY high withered mare and i picked this saddle up at an auction for $335 aus and it looks like it will fit. i just dont have a rear cinch yet so i was hoping it wont effect her to much. i have had my western bridle and brestplate for over a year :P

#6 ·
a rear cinch is not really required. depending on the design of the rigging system, it is better to have it. But, you can likely get by without it.

So, you mean a riser pad to lift at the shoulders? I always think of a riser pad as teh one that goes to lift the rear up.
have you laid it on your hrose yet?. does the fork (the arched part under the horn) sit down on the wither? how many fingers can you slip between the fork and the wither, after cinching it up?

#7 ·
before i cinch up (sat it on her before school) i can get almost my whole hand between the saddle and fork if i pace it like my english saddle. yes i mean a riser to lift the shoulders if it needs to be lifted. i will find a pic of the riser i use

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.