The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Just a Phase? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/just-phase-28281/)

gabrielstriumph 05-23-2009 06:07 PM

Just a Phase?

So I've been riding the same horse for three years now. He was 4 when I started riding him and he is now 7. He's a morab, and fits the description perfectly. He has the spunky attitude and the endurance of an arabian, and the sturdy willingness of a morgan.

Anyways, due to a long and unfortunate story that happened before I started riding him he has been terrified of jumping. It took me a whole summer of working with him, just to get him to trot over ground poles. These past couple months he's to the point where he will jump anything if I let him look at it and sniff it first. So all in all, he was doing extremely well.

It just so happens that he went lame for almost 3 weeks, then I rode him once, fell off, got a concussion, and couldn't ride for 5 more weeks. In the time that I was off of him he only got ridden once by this little girl who couldn't make him go over a rolltop. He's very smart, and that taught him to refuse the rolltop. So after 8 weeks, he's feeling a little cocky and he's trying all new sorts of stunts with me. I haven't let him get away with much, but it's been a real struggle. He's consistently been bad in lessons, refusing jumps that he always goes over, bucking, kicking out when I use my leg, not listening, spooking, just being naughty.

Before both of our "vacations" he and I got champion at the last show. I just went to a show a week ago with him and let me just say, it was not pretty.

So what I'm wondering is, is this just a phase? Is this just the time it's taking him to get back in the groove after being in the pasture for 5 weeks?

**Also, my new plan of action: I can't keep progressing with our riding while he's being bad, so I'm stepping down to 4 or 5 stairs lower in our training, and i'm going back to basics, to really focus on our flatwork and crossrails. I'm quitting taking him over higher jumps until he and I can get our act together again. Good method, do you think?

smrobs 05-24-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrielstriumph (Post 312958)
**Also, my new plan of action: I can't keep progressing with our riding while he's being bad, so I'm stepping down to 4 or 5 stairs lower in our training, and i'm going back to basics, to really focus on our flatwork and crossrails. I'm quitting taking him over higher jumps until he and I can get our act together again. Good method, do you think?

I think this sounds like the best plan. It could be from the long lay-off or that little girl could have caused some big problems. It all depends on how she rode him and from the sound of it, it didn't go well. I think your plan sounds great and although it may be frustrating to have to start all over, it will be better in the long run to do that than try to force the issue.

gabrielstriumph 05-24-2009 09:51 AM

Yeah, the more I hear about what he got away with that day, the more it worries me. But I mean, there's nothing I can do to go back in time and fix it, so I'm glad you agree what I'm doing is right. Thanks!

JustDressageIt 05-24-2009 10:57 AM

It sounds like you're on the right track with bumping it down a couple of notches. Work him back up from there and I'm sure you'll have no problems once you build that base back up :)
Good luck, I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate accidents :(

Spyder 05-24-2009 11:17 AM

I agree with the others.

I would rather have my horse not ridden at all than by someone where he gets the best of them. Frisky I can deal with, bad acting due to improper training can be very frustrating.