The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   The Just Brushed Look (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/just-brushed-look-28303/)

OnlySamwise 05-24-2009 12:47 AM

The Just Brushed Look

Some of the horses at the barn always have their tails looking "just brushed". Do you know what conditioner (or whatever) works like that? They do brush their tails but I know they haven't brushed them just before I get there.

rosie9r 05-24-2009 01:47 AM

I use Cowboy Magic detangler. Its silicone based, leave in. You just brush it in then reuse it once the conditioning has faded. It keeps Dean's tail nice and soft all the time.

gabrielstriumph 05-24-2009 10:44 PM

Oooooh, I always use show sheen, just brush the tail really well first, then spray in and make sure it gets all over the tail, and it will make the tail really shiny, straight, smooth, and dirt resistant.
It works wonders for me and is a real time-saver.

StormyBlues 05-24-2009 11:05 PM

I use Cowboy Magic, and Vetrolin conditoners. They are great, but I also brush Blue's tail everyday almost.

OnlySamwise 05-25-2009 05:41 AM

Ok thanks. I'll look into those :).

DixiesPaintedNova 05-27-2009 12:53 AM

I usually get my horses tail wet and condition it with some mane and tail then rinse it out. (make sure you brush your horses tail before you start to condition) Then i let it dry on its own without brushing it. Once it is completly dry i brush starting at the bottom and work my way up.

Comanche's tail looks full at the end and it last for a few days. But i also brush his tail everyday.

Solon 05-27-2009 12:59 AM

Best product is called Canter Mane and Tail. Way better than Cowboy magic.

Canter Silk Mane & Tail Conditioner from SmartPak Equine

Keeps the tail silky smooth for a really long time.

OnlySamwise 05-27-2009 04:32 AM

I have been using Mane and Tail and I leave it in (cause it says you can on the bottle). It works nice on her mane but not really her tail. I think it also isn't looking nice because her tail got chewed up by another horse so at the bottom it's all "rag-ly" so maybe that makes it get tangled easily. I also brush her mane and tail (almost) everyday too.

kchfuller 05-28-2009 02:48 PM

i use human shampoo and conditioner and i brush the tail when it is wet(from the bottom to the top) and has tons of conditioner in it and then i rinse and towel dry the tail and then use show sheen or this home made mixture (1/3 of each: conditioner(any human one), baby oil and the yellow mouth wash) and let it air dry from there

mom2pride 05-28-2009 08:19 PM

Laser sheen never fails to keep my horse's tails looking fab...:D

I also use alot of the dog products I use for dog grooming, and they keep the horse looking nice for days; I am hoping to see good results with The Coat Handler Conditioner on my Appy's tail and mane.