The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Chinga's Western Training. (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/chingas-western-training-28308/)

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 03:45 AM

Chinga's Western Training.

Hey.

Well I posted a topic about this before but I though I would make one where all my Western Training with Chinga can be in.

Barrel Racing:

Well I have some questions and it would be great if someone could answer them:
1. Is there any ground work I can do with him to help him with his barrel racing?
2. Are there any exersizes I can do when I'm not riding and I'm just at home to become a better barrel racer?
3. Where do I start with training him, I mean the very first step?
4. How long should our training sessions be?

Bending:
I have some bending questions it would be great if some body could answer them:
1. Are there any exersizes I can do when I'm not riding and Im just at home so I can become a better Bender?
2. How far apart do the cones need to be?
3. How long should our training sessions be?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It would be great if someone would be willing to help us out, I'm looking for a trainer at the moment but I can't find one at the moment. So I'm wondering what I can do with him.

smrobs 05-24-2009 05:21 AM

I want to say first off that I am far from an expert in either discipline and have never competed in either. These answers are just what my gut tells me and from what I have heard from others who did compete.

Barrel Racing
1. Neck reining, lateral flexion, leg yeilds, flying lead changes, etc. Anything to give you more control over all parts of his body

2. No idea. ;p

3. Once he is very supple and willing, start by walking the pattern and SLOWLY work your way up to a lope. I have heard that it is best that you only run the pattern flat out 1 time every couple of training sessions. Doing it constantly at high speed with increase the risk of injury and will speed burnout and sourness.

4. I would say work on the pattern no more than 20 to 30 minutes a day. Or, if he has a perfect run 5 minutes into the session, stop then. It is always a good idea to end on a good note.

Bending: (poles I assume?)

1. Again, no idea............Sorry. :)

2. I think they are supposed to be 21 feet apart.

3. Same as #4 above. I would also not practice both on the same day. Just mix it up and keep things new. Do barrels one day then trails for a couple of days then poles.

I think it would probably take a little longer to train him thoroughly doing this but in the end, I believe that you would have a happier, saner horse to ride.

Also, don't insist on doing the pattern every time that you are in the arena. Sometimes, go trot and lope some big, slow circles around the whole pattern to warm him up before a trail ride. This will also help him from getting arena sour.

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 05:38 AM

Thanks alot, I do something differant nearly evey lesson one lesson might be dressage then the next lesson might be jumping. It also depends on what we have been doing all week. If we haven't been riding or have only been doing a little bit then we would work on our walk,trot and canter.

And yes it was bending poles. Thanks again.

smrobs 05-24-2009 05:41 AM

No problem, I hope that I helped. It sounds like you already have a good foundation going. Just keep up the good work.

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 05:45 AM

Thanks, I'll let you know how we go! Also while I'm training him I use a crate with a orange cone ontop of it so he can see it and if he freaks and I come off I won't land on a hard barrel just on a cone......and a create.