The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Sitting Trot and Bareback (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/sitting-trot-bareback-28310/)

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 05:40 AM

Sitting Trot and Bareback

Hey,

Well I've been working on my riding alot latly, I have major problems with the sitting trot, I launch myself out of the saddle. Does anyone know ways to practise this at home. Also could someone explain what you do to your seat and where you put your weight in a sitting trot. Another thing is my canter I launch myself out of the saddle in this as well. Help would be great with that as well.

I've decided I'm going to start riding bare back alot more but whenever I ride bareback I just loose my balance. What can I do to practise my bare back riding?

Thanks,

smrobs 05-24-2009 05:49 AM

All the advice I can offer you is to practice, practice, practice as far a bareback riding goes. Sometimes it takes years to develop a good bareback seat. Just start slow and don't try to trot until you are completely comfortable and balanced at a walk and the same goes for moving up to a lope from a trot. As for launching yourself out of the saddle, it sounds like you are depending too much on your feet for balance and comfort. Does your saddle fit you well and is it comfortable? I would suggest doing stirrupless exercises in the saddle and just learn where to put your weight and how to balance and grip with your thighs. If I recall correctly, I think you ride english, correct? If that is the case, that is all the advice I can offer cause I tend to do the same thing in an english saddle because they are just not comfortable to me.

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 06:34 AM

I love my saddle, I find it very comfortable and yes it does fit. I haven't ridden bare back for a while and I was quite good at bareback. I could walk,trot and canter and do some small jumps. I ride english and western. I'm hoping to do some walking and troting on Wednesday with a saddle on Chinga and then I'm going to try with out stirrups and maybe bareback.

Tayz 05-24-2009 06:41 AM

I can't give you any advice as my balance is too good and I haven't yet fallen off doing bareback or trotting. I accidently started cantering and nearly fell off, but didn't. My balance is freakishly good... :D
My riding instructor is amazed at how many times I have not fallen off because of my balance...

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayz (Post 313309)
I can't give you any advice as my balance is too good and I haven't yet fallen off doing bareback or trotting. I accidently started cantering and nearly fell off, but didn't. My balance is freakishly good... :D
My riding instructor is amazed at how many times I have not fallen off because of my balance...

Thanks this helped alot, no I do have good balance (sometimes.....)

ChingazMyBoy 05-24-2009 07:21 AM

Another question: When you ride bareback do you grip your horse or just stay relaxed? I mean in the legs, oh and that was a very bad way to put the question!

Fire Eyes 05-24-2009 08:31 AM

I learnt bareback on lunge when I was really little, help develop a good seat from the start. The best way is to have relaxed legs, yes.

Also make sure you're careful what's around while you're bareback. :P I recently fell off my gelding when he bolted and bucked bareback. There was a dog in the arena. ;) Haha.

IheartPheobe 05-24-2009 10:33 AM

With a sitting trot, keep your seat the same, sink your weight into your heals. Same for a canter.
I find the easiest thing for me to do bareback or no stirrups is just relax. I've ridden the bounciest pony at our barn bareback and it worked, so I'm sure you'd find it easier. =]

StormyBlues 05-24-2009 12:08 PM

let your seat follow the movement and let your hip bones go forward with the movements of horse. When you are in the saddle sink your heels down in the sturrips.

ChingazMyBoy 05-25-2009 05:22 AM

Thanks, hoping to work on this on Wednesday, if it doesn't rain.