The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Head down while grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/head-down-while-grooming-28311/)

NorthernMama 05-24-2009 09:51 AM

Head down while grooming

I don't know if this is a result of training, security-growth or just an "it's-that-kind-of-day" thing:

Yesterday while grooming my 6 yr old stdbd she would put her head right down to the floor and nuzzle the cement or the dirt or whatever was there. If I stopped, raised her head and then started again, she'd put her head back down. Completely stress-free as far as I could see. Maybe she's finally learning how to chill and this is her comfort position for grooming?

BTW, I have spent quite a bit of time over the last few months encouraging her to keep her head down, but not that far down!

Anyone else ever see this?

ShannonSevenfold 05-24-2009 11:12 AM

The mare that I ride for lessons does this some days. I'm not sure. For her, this is when she's relaxed. Most of the time she's pretty uptight and crabby (she's an old lady. haha), but when she does relax, she puts her head wayy down.

gabrielstriumph 05-24-2009 10:46 PM

Yeah, Some of the horses I ride do this. I think they're acting like another horse is grooming them, like what they would do in the pasture, and it's just a reflex.

NorthernMama 05-24-2009 11:05 PM

Thanks. This is definitely a HUGE step for her then. Yipee!

BryCowboy7 05-25-2009 12:14 AM

I agree

I would have to say that I agree with you guys are saying, I think that the horse is just being relaxed and minding its own buisness... So it is definately a good sign.

gabrielstriumph 05-26-2009 10:22 AM

Yes, and it's a good sign they see you as their friend who acts like a horse. :)

7Ponies 05-26-2009 06:19 PM

My horses both put their heads down when I groom them. I think it just relaxes them and they enjoy it.

NorthernMama 05-27-2009 03:44 PM

Well, I think it's great she's so relaxed. I just had never seen a horse put their head ALL the way down like that for grooming. Let's see if she maintains that behavior!