The Horse Forum banner

My horse. (very picture heavy)

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  smrobs 
#1 ·
This is my horse Starlight. (Star for short, original huh? lol) When I first got her she was bone thin. This picture is from the day I got her.

A couple weeks later of careful feeding.

She did colic once, months after we got her. We never did find the exact reason why she did. You can still kind of tell she's slightly bloated in this picture.

Couple weeks after that.

And now.

Here's my sister with her. (my sister is only 5')

And me with my baby. :D

Sorry for all the pictures. :oops:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you so much! She is definitely thankful, and I'm thankful to have her. She's still slightly nervous of men and still a little ear shy. (if you can't tell she's missing parts of her ears and has a large scar on her forehead) But she's always been a pretty good girl.

#7 ·
I was told that the missing bits of her ears were from frostbite, and they said that they don't know where the scar came from. They bought her from an auction. I do give them credit though because they did pay to have the vet give her all her shots, wormed, and generally checked over before I took her. They just didn't take very good care of her before that.

#13 ·
Nice job. The colic must have been rough on both of you. Glad she is looking so happy now.

I've never heard of frostbite that bad on horse's ears. I suppose it's possible, but it'd have to be awfully, AWFULLY cold. Like about -40, windy, no shelter and no other horses for warmth. Or maybe with ill health -- as she obviously used to have. Regardless, those ears will always be her little specialty!

#15 ·
She is a very pretty and a very lucky girl. You have worked wonders with her and she looks great. As for the frostbite damage, that could have happened the day she was foaled. It really doesn't have to be terribly cold, anywhere around zero with some wind. If you combine that with being foaled in a pasture with no shelter, you get cropped ears. We have calves being born all the time in winter that end up with cropped ears and tails from frostbite. She may always be headshy because her ears are probably pretty sensitive from the scar tissue and nerve damage.

As far as guessing a breed, how old is she? She looks like a cross to me maybe a TB or QH cross. I don't know. Very pretty though and her ears and that scar give her appearance more personality.

#23 ·
You have done a wonderful job bringing her around and you certainly look fine on her size wise. She looks very happy with her new home! I would offer a suggestion to move the nose piece up on the hack. It should be much higher up on her face. Where it's sitting now, when you put pressure on her reins you are putting pressure right above the the most sensitive part her nasal cavity plus it's sitting right on the soft tissue of the airway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.