The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Aussie saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/aussie-saddles-283426/)

evilamc 09-25-2013 08:05 PM

Aussie saddles?

1 Attachment(s)
So, it's been suggested to me to try a western/aussie saddle for a little added security with my horse (long story we wont go there lol!). I don't show...so I don't see any reason not to try one kinda...Right now we ride in a dressage saddle and I like fiddling around trying to teach him a little dressage and how to use himself correctly...but we pretty much just trail ride and we're trying to do more judged trail rides...so I feel like I could probably do the fiddling around in any saddle...

SO

Help me understand these saddles more? I'm a total noob when it comes to western/aussie...I've never even girthed one up LOL

I've figured out the seat size differences so I don't need help there...but I can not figure out the tree size differences? My dressage saddle has a wide tree, my fitter believes hes inbetween a medwide/wide tree though so we shim my pad to help the wide have a better fit. So what the heck would that be in an aussie saddle or western?! I'm so confused by this qhbar measurements lol. Also some of the aussie saddles I'm looking at just come in like a reg size...and a wide size? like 18" or 18"W...

Please educate me!? I've been googling for awhile but can't seem to figure out the right thing to google!

Not to mention I've had quite a few people tell me he belongs in a western saddle LMAO, pfft whatever hes adorable in anything I put on him. Including safety vests.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...36331517_n.jpg

bsms 09-25-2013 08:25 PM

A little on Australian-style saddles. I say Australian style, because genuine made in Australia stock saddles start at around $3000 and go up fast.

I have a DownUnder saddle. Send them a wither tracing, and they can make recommendations about what style would fit your horse. If you buy from them, you can have them adjust it for your wither tracing.

Australian Saddles | Down Under Collection of Aussie Saddles for Trail, Ranch, and Endurance riding

Mine looks like this:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...b89c0_full.jpg

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...e3819_full.jpg

You can get some info in these:

The Mickey Mouse ears (poleys) mean that if your horse suddenly spins around, the poley will slam into your thigh and keep your hips aligned with the saddle. They can also help with falling off the front, although I've never had that problem. Done lots of spinning, though...

I like them a lot, but they are a love / hate item. My wife & daughter will NOT get on a horse with an Aussie saddle. Period. I ride in mine at least 90% of the time. If possible, try before you buy.

evilamc 09-25-2013 08:37 PM

Oh you're so smart going to youtube. I spent forever googling but didn't even check youtube! Thanks so much for the links!

That is REALLY neat that they do a wither tracing, that makes me feel good that he would have a saddle that fits well! On long rides is yours really comfy?

Quote:

The Mickey Mouse ears (poleys) mean that if your horse suddenly spins around, the poley will slam into your thigh and keep your hips aligned with the saddle. They can also help with falling off the front, although I've never had that problem. Done lots of spinning, though...
Hehe this is what has me quite interested in them. For some reason my horse is the only horse that has ever bucked me off...I freeze up for a second for some reason on him then its too late to try and correct him and I'm down lol. Wondering if this would help with my confidence and help keep me from freezing up.

So yours is a stock saddle right? How do you like the horn? I've never really ridden in a western saddle besides little guided trail rides on boring horses that I just sit there on falling asleep haha. I'm wondering if I'd like the stock or endurance more. Says the endurance weighs less which is nice since I'm kind of small. Also says the poleys are a little lower because endurance riders post/two point more...Is the stock saddle uncomfortable to post in? I guess since I've ridden english so much I do post more when I trot, although my horse is super comfy for sitting trot.

Also, I know they fit their backs differently then english saddles. Like with english saddles you have to have the right shape in the panels/right channel width...are the panels always the same? Like my QH has kinda a prominent withers for a QH but then goes into a broadback...so its hard to find a good fitting english saddle for him because of the panels on them.

evilamc 09-25-2013 08:42 PM

Kimberley Synthetic Stock Saddle with Horn

They have a synthetic saddle, for much less, do you know anything about them? The person that originally suggested I try an Aussie actually suggested that exact saddle and said she loves hers. Statelinetack sells that one too, and thats where they are like 18" or 18"W...so wondering if they don't do the wither tracing for the synthetic ones or something?

evilamc 09-25-2013 08:45 PM

Oh I'm a derp, right on their website it says you can send in a custom wither tracing for the synthetic too...DON'T MIND MEEE

SketchyHorse 09-25-2013 10:11 PM

My Aussie is nearly identical to bsms & I've had absolutely no problems posting in it. You just have to learn a bit different style of posting. At least I had to for me. I couldn't be as "loud" with my posting or I'd smack my thighs into the poley's constantly. Most Aussies will be designed to allow you to take a deep seat in order to sit your horse's trot.

Any saddle that comes from downunder, whether you bought it new or used, they can custom fit. Obviously if you get it straight from them it's a little easier rather than having to ship the saddle back to them. I can't remember if it's more difficult to make them smaller or bigger... If Shoebox pops in she'll know.

Chevaux 09-25-2013 10:18 PM

I have the synthetic Kimberley endurance saddle. I like it - lightweight, comfortable, easy to clean. I must admit to being a little sceptical that a wither tracing would work (as I ordered the saddle online) but the saddle fits the horses to a tee. Check out the Downunder saddle website, if you haven't already.

evilamc 09-25-2013 10:20 PM

Mannn looking at them and what you guys are saying has me like solddd on one...Now to find the funds...Horses love us to be broke ;)

evilamc 09-25-2013 10:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=dIL0srrA238

Are you supposed to ride with your legs that forward? that looks so weird to me

Chevaux 09-25-2013 11:38 PM

I've not ridden in any other type of Aussie other than the one I've got but I find with mine the legs hang in normal position (and not far forward). I have seen pictures of riders in the other types of Aussies and most look normal although their legs are obviously not as far under their hip had they been in a dressage saddle.