The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Opinions on Omolene 100? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/opinions-omolene-100-a-283562/)

BlueHoney5775 09-26-2013 01:51 AM

Opinions on Omolene 100?

Hi! New to the forum. Been reading for a long time , though.

Anyway, what do you think about Omolene 100? Love it? Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole? Does it make horses hot at all? That's my biggest question. I had my mare get "sweet feed high" before. If you want proof, I have the receipt from the vet clinic. So, opinions?

BlueHoney5775 09-26-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHoney5775 (Post 3729882)
Hi! New to the forum. Been reading for a long time , though.

Anyway, what do you think about Omolene 100? Love it? Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole? Does it make horses hot at all? That's my biggest question. I had my mare get "sweet feed high" before. If you want proof, I have the receipt from the vet clinic. So, opinions?

BTW, I know there is another thread about this.
Also, my horses are currently eating safe choice. It's okay, but I would like something better.

Joe4d 09-26-2013 03:11 AM

i wouldnt use it, wrong kinda fats, lots of missing nutrients, too much starch.

ropinbiker 09-27-2013 10:45 AM

What do you do with your horse?? If you only pleasure ride, and don't work too hard, then it is a fine feed. If you work/ride her 3 or more days a week and use her in any competitions, events, then I would use the 500.

deserthorsewoman 09-27-2013 12:12 PM

If she gets sweetfeed high, stay away from Omolene. It has a NSC of 34%, 1535 calories/ lb. The Safe Choice is, unless it's the Special Care, still higher than I would be comfortable feeding such a horse. Over 20%, 22, I believe.
Try Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. 17% NSC, 1300 Cal.
If you need the calories, check into Ultium. Low sugar/starch, lots of calories.

GamingGrrl 09-27-2013 12:59 PM

I tried it once, and turned my calm responsive horse into a nutter that bucked me off almost every ride. Took him off it, and he went right back to his normal calm, but responsive self. I didn't change anything else, so it had to be the feed.
It's glorified sweet feed in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueHoney5775 09-27-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3739633)
If she gets sweetfeed high, stay away from Omolene. It has a NSC of 34%, 1535 calories/ lb. The Safe Choice is, unless it's the Special Care, still higher than I would be comfortable feeding such a horse. Over 20%, 22, I believe.
Try Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. 17% NSC, 1300 Cal.
If you need the calories, check into Ultium. Low sugar/starch, lots of calories.

I wanted to try the Healthy Edge, but I don't think anyone in my area has it. Or the Ultium. She does fine temperment wise on Safe Choice. She doesn't need calories, I just want something to maintain her condition, as she is 17. We are trying the omolene, but I told the barn owner if either of our horses go nutzo, to stop it immediately. On sweet feed ( just regular 12%, she wasn't to bad under saddle, it was with other horses that she went nutty. We think she got into a fight with the boss mare. Got her butt tore open. I don't want that again. Thanks!

BlueHoney5775 09-27-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ropinbiker (Post 3738889)
What do you do with your horse?? If you only pleasure ride, and don't work too hard, then it is a fine feed. If you work/ride her 3 or more days a week and use her in any competitions, events, then I would use the 500.

At the moment, she loafs around in the pasture. Long story. I plan to start riding alot more. No showing, unfortunately.

spirit88 09-28-2013 08:19 PM

I wouldn't feed its just not good feed to full of sugar. My horse being IR he's got to have low NSC feed....or its a laminitis attack time.

BlueHoney5775 10-08-2013 07:43 PM

Update

The horses have been on it for a couple of weeks. They are doing great! No temperment issues at all.