The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Australian Barrels... (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/australian-barrels-28361/)

brookelovesparelli 05-24-2009 08:46 PM

Australian Barrels...

Well i've recently got a little 13.2hh brumby. As you may have seen in one of my threads 'what do you think of my new horse?' & to pass for state barreling you must do the course in under 21 seconds. Well i've only done two barreling courses on him. This was yesterday, Sunday. The first time we did it. We did it in 26.2 seconds. I was pretty proud of my lil boy :) hehe. but then i desided to go again as i was haveing a GREAT time & so was buddy! That second time we did it in 24 seconds! i was so so so happy hehe. we flew lol. I've desided that im going to really try to be a good rider doing barrels & for buddy to be a good horse, well pony doing barrels. All of my turns were really really wide lol so if i cut down my turns to be tight, As tight can be then surely we'll cut at least 2 seconds off my over all time. Just wondering if you have any tips on tighting turns, speeding lol & anything else you need to do barreling. I love it & i think I may have found my future thing i want to persue. :)

SallyRC123 05-25-2009 05:51 AM

Congrats! I've just started a little bit of barreling on my pony too, she loves it. I would suggest practising on getting your lines correct, rather than trying to go in tight at first, try going in wide then cutting into the barrel really tightly. This technique has helped Candy and I get that little bit faster.

Good Luck!

makin tracks 05-25-2009 06:36 AM

As said above, for your turns and try to keep moving. You loose seconds if your horse stalls on the turn. Also, I find that 'opening the gate' a little with my reins help to keep my weight to the inside, whilst concentrating on not leaning too far forward.

And PLEASE sit quietly. Not flapping your arms and not flapping your legs help your pony keep its balance and run faster. I watched the local rodeo on the weekend and only one girl rode her horse quietly and despite the fact that she knocked a barrel (her horse slipped) she was still the fastest by half a second (before penalties).

rodeogirl309 05-25-2009 07:17 AM

You want to find the right size "pocket" for your horse. A pocket in the space between the barrel and you when you first enter the barrel. Each horse has a different size pocket, depending on their size & build. The pocket gives them room to come out of the barrel tightly. I'll try to find a video of my friend barrel racing to show what I mean.

brookelovesparelli 05-25-2009 08:38 PM

thanks i can't practice for a while as i fell of yesterday. Im right just can't ride for a while :P

Brumby 05-26-2009 07:55 AM

I have always wanted a brumby! Of course one in the US is next to finding a unicorn. lol. They and Australian Stock horses are my favorite breed.

amy 05-26-2009 01:08 PM

I agree with the above posts. Speed will come with accuracy and knowing the pattern well.
Congrats :)
I remember when I ran 24s and such and thought it was scary that the horse leaned in :P

Spastic_Dove 05-26-2009 04:57 PM

A balanced, responsive horse that has been trained properly on the pattern and conditioned will give you more speed and better times. :)

brookelovesparelli 05-27-2009 12:29 AM

thank you everyone, I can't wait to get started practicing! :)