The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How to keep tail hairs from breaking off? Tail dock wrap?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-keep-tail-hairs-breaking-off-283634/)

beau159 09-26-2013 10:10 AM

How to keep tail hairs from breaking off? Tail dock wrap??

I don't show seriously or anything, but I still like to have horses that look like I take pride in how they look.

Both of them have broken off hairs at the top of their tails. My 2-yr-old is worse. The ticks were REALLY bad this past spring and I think he got into the habit of rubbing his tail because there were always ticks in it (even though I cleaned it out religiously every single day). He should have a gorgeous thick show tail, but it's sparse and thin.

I don't like to do tail braiding in the summer because they use their tails so much for swatting flies, but winter is a good time to try to repair some of the damage.

I've seen tail dock wraps, but I've never used them. Such as:

http://www.proequinegrooms.com/files...266/3163/1.jpg

Thoughts on them??

Cynical25 09-26-2013 10:45 AM

Dock wraps are for preventing rubbing on the butt bar in the trailer, NOT for daily use.

My seriously itchy horse will rub various body parts (including his tail) raw if I don't apply Healthy Haircare Mosturizer every few days. As long as I keep him conditioned and thoroughly fly sprayed, he doesn't rub.

beau159 09-26-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical25 (Post 3731226)
As long as I keep him conditioned and thoroughly fly sprayed, he doesn't rub.

See I do that too. Even making sure the skin under the tail is moisturized, and I still catch him rubbing. Not a worm issue either; he's been tested and no problems.

I think it's a darned learned behavior from when his tail really was itchy this spring from tick bites. I wish he'd un-learn it!!

Makes sense to use the tail dock wrap when hauling only. I've always looked at those and wondered if it would even be good for the tail dock to be wrapped tightly 24/7.

Red Gate Farm 09-26-2013 12:01 PM

Have you cleaned his sheath lately? A dirty sheath will cause tail rubbing as well.

beau159 09-26-2013 12:10 PM

Hmm, neither of them no. That's kind of a "new thing" for me but I had planned on having the sheath cleaning done in the spring when they are sedated anyway for their teeth checkup. Will have to pay attention after I have it done and see if that makes it better. THanks!

jaydee 09-26-2013 12:22 PM

I have actually bought one of those dock wraps - actually several different types because I have one horse that seems to actually enjoy the sensation of rubbing her tail. They don't stop on because they cant be tight enough to do that or it would cause some pretty nasty damage to the dock
Having the tail washed regularly as well as the parts underneath it will help if its an itching thing - cortisone cream or the sort of anti itch solutions you can buy from a pharmacy are useful. If its tiny insects causing the problem I had best results deterring them when I used a powder rather than sprays which can cause irritation if they build up.

its lbs not miles 09-26-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 3731762)
Hmm, neither of them no. That's kind of a "new thing" for me but I had planned on having the sheath cleaning done in the spring when they are sedated anyway for their teeth checkup. Will have to pay attention after I have it done and see if that makes it better. THanks!

If it is a case him needing to be cleaned.
Spring is a LONG time away if he needs cleaning now and if he's already rubbing his butt from needing a cleaning he'll certainly need it done as soon as possible.

Elishaponies 09-27-2013 10:32 AM

Wraps left on for more than an hour can cause damage and you risk losing at best all of the hair, at worst the whole tail.

I'm suffering with a rubber too - cortisone lotion has been the only thing that helps, currently trying medicated shampoo and thinking about putting him on an oral antihistamine since we're pretty sure at this point he's itchy because of allergies.

Elishaponies 09-27-2013 11:20 AM

Oh, listerine sprayed on is supposed to work really well, too. (Didn't on mine but I've heard of other people having tons of success with it).

Palomine 10-05-2013 06:06 AM

You don't have to sedate one to clean a sheath. Needs to be done.

And also could need cleaning around anal opening too.

Use Heinz ACV, a splash of it in warm water in a spray bottle, or in bucket and clean tail good with that, dock too. Massage helps also.

And has horse had fecal done? Or just de-wormed yourself, so think he is fine?