The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Cantering (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cantering-2837/)

~Tina~ 08-04-2007 07:11 PM

Cantering

Hello, I just took my first cantering lessons. It felt so different, and unfortunately I fell off twice. For some reason when i start to canter my whole body go forward and i don't have enough time to go back because I fall off immediately it seems. I've never fallen off a horse before but I'm lucky I landed on my feet both times. When I go into canter, how am I supposed to be positioned and how do you not go forward all of a sudden?

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-04-2007 07:28 PM

tina

when i was a kid i had lessons every saturday moring, the horse for that eventful saturday morning lesson was a big red raon named skipper....boy did he live up to his name.......3rd stride in off i went every time....my dad stood there covering his eyes when the instructor asked for a canter....i stopped falling off when i really started to use my leg's i guess i let them flop around.....

giget 08-05-2007 06:12 AM

yeah tina id just grip with ur legs and sit up straight and if needed grab some mane?? just a question are u doing a few strides in the sitting trot before u canter because if ur not that tends to tip u folward a bit as well

bee 08-05-2007 09:29 AM

try holding the pommel of the saddle with one hand and you reins with the other and lean back a bit. and sit trot a few beats before you canter.

~Tina~ 08-05-2007 08:54 PM

Yeah, I'm doing a posting trot then going into canter. I'm sure I'll get used to it sometime, but for now, I should probably stick with jumping and trotting until I'm ready.

Eventer Gal 08-05-2007 08:58 PM

:? Don't do anything youre not comftortable with!!

kristy 08-05-2007 11:32 PM

Can you ride a sitting trot well?

~AUSSIE SHOWJUMPER~ 08-06-2007 12:28 AM

:? If she can't ride a canta no WAY would she beable to successfully ride sit trot!! :roll: Geez :o

kristy 08-06-2007 01:14 AM

Sitting trot is not difficult & can easily be learned before introducing the cantER.

~Tina~ 08-08-2007 12:08 AM

Yes, I can do a sitting trot and Posting trot, and of course trotting in two point.