The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Nice Lightweight Trail Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/nice-lightweight-trail-saddle-283946/)

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-26-2013 06:56 PM

Nice Lightweight Trail Saddle

I love my western saddle that I use for general riding and barrels, but for longer trail rides I'd like to get another saddle that's lighter for the horse and possible for me to attach saddle bags and have endurance stirrups rather than my aluminum barrel ones. I'm aware comfort is VERY personal. But under $2000, do you know of any saddles that are light (under 20lbs, lighter the better), deep seated, and decent quality that will hold up to lots of riding? The Stonewall saddles look awesome, but I've only been on their website. I don't have any tack stores in the area (well, none that sell saddles) so I have to do it all online.

SouthernTrails 09-26-2013 06:59 PM

Under 20lbs.?

You will have to go with a Cordura or part Cordura and Leather

Suggest Fabtron or Big Horn

edit: I looked at stonewalls, an all leather saddle at 12.5 lbs?, sorry I would not trust something that light

Joe4d 09-26-2013 07:27 PM

Specialized saddles, Im ordering one soon. unless I get another tucker. adjustable so you can fit it to a new horse down the road. They are light but seems like they hold up for alot of endurance riders. What size do you need ? I am holding ought for a trail lite or featherlight trail with the endurance seat and western rigged in 17" missed a couple but some will show up.
In Stock - Specialized Saddles

jamesqf 09-26-2013 07:46 PM

I'm happy with my Abetta Endurance saddle, though I don't really have anything to compare it to.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-26-2013 07:48 PM

Adjustable is always nice. I have a couple horses and might be shopping again soon. Also, I'm not opposed to synthetic. As long as it's durable and well made I'm happy.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 09-26-2013 08:26 PM

I think what makes the Stonewall so light is it similar to the Mcclellan saddles in it's design. It's basically a seat and fenders. Also, that doesn't include stirrups (not that that adds much weight). The new "sport" model is 16.5lbs, so may be a bit sturdier? Based off what I've seen, these saddles would be just what I want, but I haven't heard many reviews.

SouthernTrails 09-26-2013 08:34 PM

Only 1 review for stonewall a few for specialized Trail Saddles

Celeste 09-27-2013 09:41 AM

I think it really depends on just how much riding that you plan to do. I was looking at the Specialized saddles and I think they would be perfect. I also know that I don't need a saddle that I can put 1,000 miles a year on.

I bought an Abetta endurance saddle. It was cheap. It fits my horse well. It is comfortable. If it does wear out, I can buy 3 more just like it before it owes me anything financially compared to the others. If I were a real endurance rider, I would be more concerned about getting something like a specialized that is really designed for long riding.

It just depends on what you really need.

Saddlebag 09-27-2013 10:10 AM

The Big Horn leather/corduras hold up very well. In my line of work, saddle repair, I've seen very cheap stirrup "leathers" made out of seat belt material and boy do they stretch. Big Horn's system is excellent. The endurance are excellent for trail riding, no horn to get caught on low branches.

womack29 09-27-2013 11:03 AM

I have a tucket endurance trail saddle and it is right around 18 lbs and so comfortable. I have been in it 5 yrs and I rude daily so was worth the $
Posted via Mobile Device