The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   How long until you could do posting trot without looking at the horse's shoulder? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-long-until-you-could-do-283978/)

futuredoctor 09-26-2013 09:12 PM

How long until you could do posting trot without looking at the horse's shoulder?

How long until you could do posting trot without looking at the horse's shoulder?

I've been working on the posting trot for about 4-5 lessons now, and I still can't seem to get on the correct gait without looking at the shoulder.

waresbear 09-26-2013 09:13 PM

It's been 25 years and I still have to glance down on some horses.

GamingGrrl 09-26-2013 09:26 PM

Been riding off an on for 9+ years and I still have difficulty posting on the left diagnol, so I always at least glance down to double check.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 09-26-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 3735242)
It's been 25 years and I still have to glance down on some horses.

Me too! I do feel it but I still glance down anyway!

evilamc 09-26-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 3735410)
Me too! I do feel it but I still glance down anyway!

Same, I just have a habit of glancing down now...I'm 99% of the time on the right diagonal but I still look anyways haha

NaeNae87 09-26-2013 09:59 PM

I have been riding for 2 1/2 years, most of the time I get the correct diagonal but occasionally I will look down to double check.

Shropshirerosie 09-27-2013 12:31 AM

I generally get it, and I always feel if I haven't got it - but I still glance down!, it's a habit of 14 years that's not going to go away now....

bsms 09-27-2013 01:05 AM

I'll confess that I often don't worry about the correct diagonal. About half of my trotting is out of the arena, in straight lines, where it doesn't matter. The other half often involves serpentines or random turns around pylons, so the 'outside' shoulder becomes the inside, then back out, then we're straight, then inside....so I usually don't pay attention.

When I do look, I'm probably 'correct' about 75% of the time.

IOW...after 5 lessons, don't be surprised if it isn't always obvious. Mia tends to do a smooth jog and I don't feel much difference even if I do correct to the 'right' diagonal. Of course, it could be my ineptitude showing...:oops:

smrobs 09-27-2013 01:20 AM

Like others, I have been riding for 25+ years and I still can't "feel" it on some horses. Others are quite obvious and make picking up the correct diagonal super easy.

It takes a lot of years to learn to feel what every part of the horse's body is doing and only the absolute best riders can do it almost unerringly on every single horse they ride.

It just takes a lot of time spent in the saddle...and I'm not talking 1 hour lessons, I'm talking years of intensive daily experience. You certainly don't need to feel like your falling behind because you still have a bit of trouble after only a few lessons :wink:.

usandpets 09-27-2013 02:11 AM

I never have looked at the shoulder. I don't do arena work, just out trail riding so it really doesn't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device