The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Talk to me about reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/talk-me-about-reining-283986/)

farmpony84 09-26-2013 08:33 PM

Talk to me about reining

I have been having a ton of lameness issues with my AQHA all-arounder. We've only made it to a couple shows over the last two years and I think it's time for me to give it a rest for a while as far as hopes of showing him go. I'm going to continue riding him and enjoying him but he'll have to do something less taxing. I'm thinking about local level hunt (the pleasure division).

I am not done w/ the QH world though so I'm looking into either breeding or buying next year. If I breed, I have 2 mares to choose from (my sister in law has graciously offered her mare). I want to try reining. I have been wanting to do it for years but I've been really intimidated by it all. Everything is so fast and crazy but I think, with the right trainer, I could do it.

I'm going to head out to a reiner show this weekend to watch and to hopefully speak to a trainer that I am interested in. It's an hour and a half ride from my house and I have to find out if she has horses that she teaches on because I don't have a reiner or anything close to one.

There is another trainer that I left a message with that is only an hour from me. That trainer even does cutting, which looks really cool but also very intimidating. (I'm not scared - just intimidated).

It's going to suck being a beginner all over again but I am getting really excited about the prospect. I just want to hear... you know... what it's like? Would I be able to maintain a horse at my house or would I be better off keeping it in training?

I drive an hour to my current trainer now by the way. I think that's about the closest I'm going to get to one. Hunter/jumper trainers on the other hand are a dime a dozen and less than ten minute away in 3 directions! If that's your cup of tea that is....

BarrelBunny 09-26-2013 09:39 PM

Subbing! :-) I'm a barrel racer, and have never gotten the chance to even go to a reining show around here. I would love to try it, though!

Cynical25 09-27-2013 09:41 AM

My disclaimer: I am not a reiner, but I worked for one a few years and had the chance to ride some seriously amazing horses :P Reining can be absolutely exhilirating! But, like every other equine discipline, you have to figure out what YOU enjoy. Definitely take some lessons before making any decisions. Take some cutting lessons if you have the opportunity, too - sitting the unexpectedly smooth movements of a well bred, well broke cutter is pretty awesome. Try everything you can so you can make an educated decision on where you truly wish to focus. Don't worry about being a beginner to a new discipline, just bring your excitement and a willingness to learn.

If you eventually decide to invest in a reining horse, let your trainer help you find the right one. If you're doing small shows, you may be able to keep up the horse yourself with periodic lessons. If you're showing high levels, you may want to keep it with the trainer - same as any other show discipline, really. But don't get ahead of yourself, just worry about lessons to make sure this is your sport. Good luck and enjoy!

farmpony84 09-27-2013 06:58 PM

There is a reining show at state fair this weekend. I'm going to try to go on Sunday so that I can watch and maybe talk to some trainers. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be finding someone that will give me lessons on their horses since I don't have one to use.

SlideStop 09-27-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 3735386)
I have been having a ton of lameness issues with my AQHA all-arounder. We've only made it to a couple shows over the last two years and I think it's time for me to give it a rest for a while as far as hopes of showing him go. I'm going to continue riding him and enjoying him but he'll have to do something less taxing. I'm thinking about local level hunt (the pleasure division).

I am not done w/ the QH world though so I'm looking into either breeding or buying next year. If I breed, I have 2 mares to choose from (my sister in law has graciously offered her mare). I want to try reining. I have been wanting to do it for years but I've been really intimidated by it all. Everything is so fast and crazy but I think, with the right trainer, I could do it. Reining is supposed to be the opposite! :lol: A calm collected fast and very IN control!

I'm going to head out to a reiner show this weekend to watch and to hopefully speak to a trainer that I am interested in. It's an hour and a half ride from my house and I have to find out if she has horses that she teaches on because I don't have a reiner or anything close to one. School horses are the best to learn on. Training a reiner is a very delicate process! Plus you need a to get used to the maneuvers... a school master is the way to go!

There is another trainer that I left a message with that is only an hour from me. That trainer even does cutting, which looks really cool but also very intimidating. (I'm not scared - just intimidated). Cutting is WAY more intimidating then reining :wink: although I think it would be very fun!

It's going to suck being a beginner all over again but I am getting really excited about the prospect. I just want to hear... you know... what it's like? To start all over again? Yes. We did some basics, neck reining with two hands, "setting that head" and body control. After that we got into the maneuvers, not doing them full out but sitting to them and cueing the. When we got that down then we started to add speed to it. Would I be able to maintain a horse at my house or would I be better off keeping it in training? Thats going to the depend on the horse. Some can, some cannot. Personally I plan on looking for one that can be maintained at home or with little assistance. I also hope to be able train my own... someday...

I drive an hour to my current trainer now by the way. I think that's about the closest I'm going to get to one. Hunter/jumper trainers on the other hand are a dime a dozen and less than ten minute away in 3 directions! If that's your cup of tea that is.... You must live by me then! Hunter/jumpers are a penny a dozen. There are 3 reining trainers with in an hour from me. One is about 45 minutes away, and they don't have any reining horses at the moment (but they advertise it on their website??). The other two are ironically 5-10 minutes away. I was taking lessons with one, stopped and she never called me back when I wanted to go back to lesson. Now I take lessons with the other, but again had to take a break due to school and $$$ (he was very understanding). If I I lose him I'll be SOL!

My comments are in blue (reds to harsh :wink:). Good luck with reining. Once you sit a nice smooth stop or a spin your going to be hooked!

farmpony84 09-27-2013 08:02 PM

I had an arab that I leased once that had the coolest spin. (no professional training, just what teenage me did). She spun probably to be naughty at first but it was so cool it became my favorite thing to do with her.

I can't wait to ride a finished reiner. I truthfully, have not ever ridden a finished WP horse. Mine is still green, although he's really got a lot of it down, he's got a huge way to go. I think a made horse might help me figure some of the things I'm lacking out.

I really hope the 2 places I'm interested in talking to are at the show this weekend.

This place is an hour from me: Cornerstone Horsemanship

This place I am really interested in, it is about an hour and a half: Rein Dance Performance Horses

CLaPorte432 09-27-2013 08:32 PM

893 Attachment(s)
My advice, find something already broke and that has some reining training on it. It'll be cheaper in the long run to buy as opposed to breeding, waiting, sending to a trainer, learning on the horse, and potentially screwing the horse up because of green+green. Know what I'm saying?

its going to be so much fun riding a reining horse! So why wait 4-5 years for it?

Find a well bred 2-3 year old that has the talent for reining. We all know breeding is a crap shoot and you just never know what your gonna get.

:-D
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 09-27-2013 08:46 PM

There might even be trainers closer to you. The one lady (who never called me back) taught right out of her families backyard. She only took students on a limited basis (only had a few "lesson horse" aka their to old to seriously show horses). I would of never found her unless I asked around at the local tack store. Riding a finished reiner is an AMAZING FEELING! Plus its very helpful to learn the skills and what the proper skill feels like when done correctly. That, and if you ride a greenie you can really put some bad habits on them that are very hard to correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 09-29-2013 08:15 PM

I went to state fair and watched the rookie classes today. It was pretty neat and I feel better after watching. They were a lot more controlled then I expected, they did get pretty fast but not too bad. I''m sure the more advanced horses were flying around the ring but I left to watch the mounted shooting state finals after that.

I did talk to a trainer that's about an hour and a half away. He has lessons horses, he said he'll start me on slow then move me to medium and then fast. He also said that he wouldn't breed or buy a baby being new to the discipline. His advice was to find a been there done that horse. I'm open to that!

SlideStop 09-29-2013 08:39 PM

Even when its fast its not out of control like a barrel racers running home. I LOVE galloping my reining mare. She will run her heart out and the moment you say whoa or easy she slows up and goes back to walking like nothing even happened!
Posted via Mobile Device