The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   scariest moment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/scariest-moment-28402/)

kko 05-25-2009 03:29 PM

scariest moment

what was your scariest horse related moment?

mine is probably when i was about 7 and i went horseback riding with my cousins and two leaders, one in the front, one in the back. and my horse was the last one, other than the guide's horse. something spoked his horse and he was knocked off, and that spooked my horse, so my horse took off and ran into the street that we were about to cross and ran right in front of a car, wasnt hit though.

i used to take lessons, not too long before that, but they never told you what to do when your horse gets freaked out.

Gillian 05-25-2009 08:37 PM

Honestly I don't really get scared when a horse acts up. So it's hard to say. I'm probably too cool headed when things happen. But I guess it's a good quality when working with horses. The most dangerous was probably when Mikey, my old horse, spooked and bolted after a jump and my reins broke. Don't know how it happened really, they were old reins. I got him to stop by circling him until he quieted down but he was in a blind panic and almost ran straight through the fence when I was fumbling to grab the one rein that I could get at. My mother was certainly scared. Of course that's the one day she came to watch me ride, ha ha.

ponyboy 05-25-2009 09:13 PM

I had a horse almost roll on me once. We were waiting for our turn to jump and he suddenly kept pawing the ground. I just got the instructor's attention and was about to tell her when he started to go down. I got off just in time - My foot got stuck under the saddle but I was able to pull it out. It turned out the horse had colic. The instructor told me to get back on him in order to make him walk. I kept my feet out of the stirrups :-)

Brighteyes 05-25-2009 09:13 PM

I was riding by the barn and it was windy out. Lola started to act up because of all the moving objects and started to rear. I tried to bring her down, but I was riding bareback and fell right off. She bolted towards the highway, threw the opened (should have been closed) gate and into the road. A semi came thundering up and swirved.
I thought that the semi had run off the road for a second, but it didn't. In the end, I catch my horse and everything was ok. What is the lesson in this story? Don't ride on windy days.

JumpingJellyBean 05-25-2009 11:56 PM

I was at a horse show and we went to fast around the corner and me and my pony fell. It was scary at first cause i wanted to make sure he was ok, and he was =)

RoosterDo 05-26-2009 12:29 AM

I was young and racing a friend across an open field when my horse swerved and hit a ditch we were going about a 100 miles an hour but the first thought I had was get your feet out of the stirrups. He flipped over and landed across me I was very calm but when he started to get up I slapped him in the butt so he rolled towards my feet and not my face. He jumped up looked at me blood running out of his nose and took off. I never let go of the reins he slipped out if the headstall because it didnt have a throat latch, my friend thought I was dying the wind was knocked out of me soooo bad. I just looked up covered in mud and said get peppy (the horse) I was worried about him. In the end neither of us were broken just scrapped up and filthy. That was the scariest thing ever it seemed in slow motion.

DarkEquine 05-26-2009 12:42 AM

My scariest moment was when I was about 10 and new to riding. I was on one of my auntie's horses and she put me out in an unoccupied paddock for a bit while she cleaned some bridles. I'd gotten down to the end of the paddock at a slow walk when he heard the buckets rattling. She'd started mixing up feeds. BIG mistake!
He took the bit in his teeth and started cantering across the paddock towards the gate! i freaked out and yanked on the reins (i was VERY to riding at this stage, may I remind you) and then he pigrooted all the way down to the stables! I stayed on until the last few strides when he swerved suddenly, and slipped. I flew across his left shoulder into the mud and he landed on his head! He was fine and got up but I got a sprained wrist from it landing underneath me and my auntie was so worried, embarrassed and furious!
She made me get back on him and lead us around the paddock until he'd calmed down. Sounds stupid now, but it was pretty scary when I was 10!!!

Nutty Saddler 05-26-2009 12:09 PM

Scariest moment was riding a 4yr old 16.3 irish draft .He was really scared of cows and one day we were out riding when a herd came over a hill about 500 meters away , he fixed his eyes on them and started to walk backwards towards a really deep ditch. Nothing I could do made him take his eyes of the herd and I diddn't get his attention untill one leg was hanging over the edge of the ditch. Going backwards into a ditch with 700Kgs of horse was not my idea of fun.

kko 05-26-2009 07:47 PM

i feel the same way Dark Equine. i was always freaking out when i was first starting. i am sooooo much better now though.

oh i also forgotto add that the leader's saddle had fallen off and my turned, so that i was pretty much riding on the horses side,

kko 05-26-2009 07:50 PM

i feel the same way Dark Equine. i was always freaking out when i was first starting. i am sooooo much better now

oh i also forgotto add that the leader's saddle had fallen off and my turned, so that i was pretty much riding on the horses side,