The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone know about bugs? Especially biting lil flying nasties. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/anyone-know-about-bugs-especially-biting-284074/)

Phly 09-26-2013 11:04 PM

Anyone know about bugs? Especially biting lil flying nasties.

Ok, this has happened to me twice now this month. While digging/ grading a basement, I've stirred up gnat sized lil flying bugs.

And lots of the stinging Or biting lil suckers! And they leave a heck of a welt! I don't get welts this bad from bees and wasps. But these tiny lil jerks tear me up.

What could they be? They look like tiny wasps, but very plain colored. Kinda dark gray, not really black. Biggest about 1/4".

Both times have been in clay soil. I don't have any pictures of them, as there tiny and suck.

Any ideas would be great, I would like to eradicate everyone of the lil buggers and need to know what to name the collalation. Lol.

Or just figure out what they are so I can run em off when I come across em again.

Feel free to ask any questions to help on this quest and I'm in northern Indiana.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bagheera 09-26-2013 11:08 PM

Pictures?

Faceman 09-27-2013 11:01 AM

They are too big to be No-seeums - sound sort of like what we call sweat bees...

Phly 09-28-2013 12:18 AM

I know what sweat bees are. These are definitely not sweat bees. But I may of hissed the same thing.

These are a lil smaller and live in the ground. Maybe a flying ant of some sort? Or a young stage of something? Idk, but I do know that they are a serious pain!
Posted via Mobile Device

Darrin 09-28-2013 12:27 AM

No clue but here's a bug guide you can try and find it on:

Welcome to BugGuide.Net! - BugGuide.Net

gunslinger 09-28-2013 08:49 AM

Maybe sand fleas?

Spray down good with deet.....and see if that helps....

Phly 10-03-2013 12:02 AM

I did spray off on me the next time, yes I met the lil sobs again. And that helped. Still don't know what they are and still hate em!
Posted via Mobile Device