The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   HELP! I don't know what to do! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/help-i-dont-know-what-do-28414/)

Lucara 05-25-2009 06:53 PM

HELP! I don't know what to do!

Okay so I'm beyond fed up with our neighbors. Every year they get a new cute little puppy for their obnoxious grandchildren and every year after the grandchildren leave they throw the dog in the yard and for get about it. The dogs are always in the highway or in our yard trying to get at our dogs. The dog either runs away, disappears, or gets hit by a car. None of them are given any flea or worm meds since they're all run over with bugs. None of them are ever fixed and now they have 2 labs males running around that arnt fixed. There are enough unwanted animals! This makes me SO MAD!

Their current list of dogs they've had:

Old English Sheep dog (They left that dog, full gros on a 4ftx3ft porch ledge its ENTIRE life! Regardless of rain or hail)
Collie
Rottweiler
Napoleon Mastiff
2 chow puppies
2 black lab puppies
Doberman pincher
Jack russell
Huskey
2 yellow labs
1 corgi mix

The corgi mix I'm actually debating keeping.

The only thing thats stopping me from calling animal control is that they'll just get another dog once they take these!

I'd even get the silly mutts fixed for them but the dogs will eventually just die from internal parasites. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

When they had the jack russell (which has recently disappeared) I told them I would call animal control and she just said FINE!

I don't know what to do!!!!

Crissa 05-25-2009 07:15 PM

I would call animal control on them anyways. And then if they keep doing call them again and eventually maybe they'll have to go to court and have their right to keep pets taken away.

Barrelracer Up 05-25-2009 07:17 PM

I would make an anonymous call to the animal control and say that you are concerned about the welfare of the animals.

It may not help or it maybe enough to at least get them to care for the ones they have. At least you would have done something.

And if you bug the A.C. enough it may get them to keep an eye on your neighbors. And if you have reported a situation and then something major happens - dog bite, malnourished dog, etc...- there will be a history on file.

NorthernMama 05-26-2009 12:49 PM

When you talked to her, did she seem angry or resigned when you suggested Animal Control? Is she aware that they may prevent her from owning any pets in the future? Does she KNOW what she's doing to these dogs?

I just don't understand why they'd keep getting another dog and another dog and another dog when they are already apparently overwhelmed. Maybe she needs more help than with the animals -- maybe she needs some advice on how to relate with her grandkids or even her own kids. Maybe this is the only way she knows how to keep them coming to her house? Maybe she thinks they'll only like her if she keeps getting a new dog every year? Maybe her own kids are encouraging her to do the dog thing?

What a wierd situation. Maybe they are using the dog as a babysitter for when the grandkids come to visit. Who knows.

morganshow11 05-26-2009 08:33 PM

YES!! Call animal control. NO animal diserves to live like that!

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-26-2009 08:49 PM

My only concern is if they are outrageous people, they may assume it was you who called and do something to your animals. If you arent worried about that, call animal control. You have every right if they're continuously running around off a leash. Not sure how big their property is, but they may be zoned for having less dogs than they have.