The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What type of braid?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-type-braid-28449/)

brookelovesparelli 05-26-2009 10:37 AM

What type of braid??

2 Attachment(s)
well im going to a show jumping comp on the 6 & 7th of June & have been thinking of what braid to do on my lil brumby pony. he's got a really think mane, so im not really sure of what i should do. i was thinking a running braid just along he's neck would look nice but it's just so thick it would probabley all come out really soon after i put it in. here is some pictures of his mane what do you think i should do with it?? :D

Attachment 7308

Attachment 7309

twogeldings 05-26-2009 10:45 AM

Could you get some mane pictures? He definately needs his bridal path clipped :) Since he is a smaller horse I really wouldn't make it too long. The length of an ear laid back should do.

What kind of showing are you going to be doing? That really influences the type of braid best used.

brookelovesparelli 05-26-2009 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
his bridal path is cliped you can't really tell in the pictures as it was windy & he mane was all over the place. Its show jumping. umm next time i go out to the farm i'll try& get some more better pics of his mane, he's another pic that might be better even though its far away.Attachment 7310

brookelovesparelli 05-27-2009 08:34 PM

any one have any more ideas???

saint3meg3rlfc 05-27-2009 08:49 PM

If it's show Jumping, I don't think it matters.
You could thin his mane out with scissors and then put in some normal plaits.

StormyBlues 05-27-2009 09:16 PM

I would first pull his mane even. Then do a regualr Show Jumping/Eventing braid.

brookelovesparelli 05-27-2009 10:03 PM

i tried to view this video but it's not working :( i've never pulled a mane before, can you do it wrong & hurt him?? thanks for you reply's.

StormyBlues 05-27-2009 10:09 PM

No, horse's don't have many nerves in their mane folocules, you take a pulling comb, take a SMALL peice of the mane, use the comb to tease up some of the shorter hairs and when you have about 5-8 hairs, wrap them around the comb and pull HARD, don't just tug tug tug, it will irretate them. It is better to pull a mane when you have just finished riding because the pores are open. and just go to Youtube, search StormValleyStables, and go to my page, it is the My Wideos box

brookelovesparelli 05-27-2009 10:15 PM

Thank you heaps! :D ummm do you think doing the like rosset things would look funny on him cause he has his winter coat etc. & because he's all stocky ?

StormyBlues 05-27-2009 10:17 PM

If you do more braids it helps make the neck look longer! Little trick I learned from my obbsesive reading! And I don't think it will make a HUGE deferance if he has a winter coat. Why don't you try it when you can?