The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Equine influenza? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/equine-influenza-28463/)

mystikal222 05-26-2009 02:41 PM

Equine influenza?
 
Hi,new here first post! Does anyone know if EI is common in the USA? I only hear about it in Aussie but one of the horses at my barn has shown all the symptoms...

appylover31803 05-26-2009 02:45 PM

horses in the US get vaccinated against it so I'd assume that it can pop up here.

If a horse at your barn shows all the symptoms, I'd tell your Barn Owner/Manager immediately!

mystikal222 05-26-2009 03:01 PM

I am the barn manager.The situation is that this women bought about 30 horses and hired me to take care of them.I already gave the horse penicillan and bute,his temp is back down but I wanted to make sure it was what I thought it was.

StormyBlues 05-26-2009 04:17 PM

Your horse needs to be taken care of by a vet and quarentined NOW! If you or any part of you touches that horse, you need to wash it! You need to wear coveralls, and have a boot dip, nothing from that horse should touch another horse, and all your horses probably can be expected to have it.

mystikal222 05-26-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 314962)
Your horse needs to be taken care of by a vet and quarentined NOW! If you or any part of you touches that horse, you need to wash it! You need to wear coveralls, and have a boot dip, nothing from that horse should touch another horse, and all your horses probably can be expected to have it.

He has been quarentined and his stall stripped and disinfected.All the water and feed tubs were cleaned and sterilized and I wear gloves and rinse with straight alcohol after handling him.No matter what it is I would take precations to prevent spreading.He isnt my horse and its not my call to bring in the vet,the owner wont do that unless things get bad.Right now he seems to be doing better,I was just wondering if it was that or a summer cold or something.

appylover31803 05-26-2009 05:33 PM

i would think as a barn manager that you should have the final say as to when to bring a vet in, especially if you suspect its EI. The owner IMO should be concerned too.

If you can't get a vet in, I would atleast call up your vet and pick their brain about it. They'd certainly know.

mystikal222 05-26-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803 (Post 315015)
i would think as a barn manager that you should have the final say as to when to bring a vet in, especially if you suspect its EI. The owner IMO should be concerned too.

If you can't get a vet in, I would atleast call up your vet and pick their brain about it. They'd certainly know.

I wish I had final say but I dont.I do what I can with what I have and unless I think its extremely dangerous,I dont push her too much.I have spoken with some other people who didnt think it was very serious and I was just wondering (I like getting LOTS of opinoins on things,good way to learn new stuff).Right now the nasal discharge is clear,no coughing and temp is regular.If condition worsens,I will most deffinatly call in a vet.

G and K's Mom 05-26-2009 06:21 PM

If the discharge is clear and he isn't coughing I would be in "watch mode". If another one of the 30 start up then it's pretty safe to say rest may as well.

Sounds like you've taken all the correct precautions.

StormyBlues 05-26-2009 07:51 PM

Wait, is it a TB? Is she off the track?

mystikal222 05-26-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 315121)
Wait, is it a TB? Is she off the track?

No, QH not even two yet.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0