The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Black and white or brown.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/black-white-brown-28464/)

mystikal222 05-26-2009 03:07 PM

Black and white or brown....

2 Attachment(s)
This is my lil huy Salem.Both his parents are registered black and white and hes homo for black But the sun fades it to brown BIGTIME.Think it will darken as the summer comes on?

StormyBlues 05-26-2009 04:20 PM

I would say balck if that is what he is regestered at. And also you can put him on supplements to make him more black

mystikal222 05-26-2009 05:01 PM

Which supplements?

Solon 05-26-2009 05:39 PM

He'll fade if he stays out in the sun. Unless you show is it that big of a deal? You can use paprika but you would have needed to start before the shed to really get it to work well.

Black as Knight has paprika and is super expensive, so regular paprika works fine (better if you do it before they start shedding).

mystikal222 05-26-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 315021)
He'll fade if he stays out in the sun. Unless you show is it that big of a deal? You can use paprika but you would have needed to start before the shed to really get it to work well.

Black as Knight has paprika and is super expensive, so regular paprika works fine (better if you do it before they start shedding).

I dont plan on showing,I was just wondering.Especialy when I go to register him,I dont wanna register him black if he isnt.

Solon 05-26-2009 06:23 PM

Well, even if he's a 'fading' black, he's still black if that's how you register him. My horse is a true black and he fades in the sun.

SilentBravery09 05-26-2009 06:44 PM

Thats strange I have a registered Black and White Paint and she never fades. We live in the desert as well and she spends most of her time, actually all of it, out in the sun and she never fades. She isnt on any supplements or anything. I think he may be a brown cause true black doesnt fade. At least I dont think.

Solon 05-26-2009 06:49 PM

Yes a true black fades. My percheron is a true black and he fades. Some summers he doesn't fade much, some he fades quite a bit.

StormyBlues 05-26-2009 07:58 PM

Blue is defentaly a true black and white and she fades easily too. I would regester him Black

MyBoyPuck 05-26-2009 09:00 PM

Black as Knight is a feed through supplement that helps keep dark horses from bleaching out in the sunlight. I'm using it for the first time with my dark bay and so far he's much darker than he was this time last year. I think you have to start it before the sun gets strong. Probably too late to start this year.