The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Forum Roleplaying (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/forum-roleplaying-284817/)

Ale 09-28-2013 03:36 PM

Forum Roleplaying

Forum Roleplaying.
Go ahead laugh and giggle when you see the word roleplaying and think of a bunch of 'nerds' huddled around a card table in their parents basement, playing D&D. I've had so many people assume that I roleplay tabletop games. I would try it in the future, but the roleplaying that I take part in 99% of the time is forum roleplaying. Post-by-post. Whatever you wish to call it. I've been pinging around on other sites for the past 5-6 years. My adventures first began when I was an admin on a website (yes, I am a little kid and I rather enjoy it hehe.) But seriously... A whole lot of the members on the site roleplayed. I had no idea what it was, so I asked. I wrinkled my nose at the idea of playing pretend via writing. Until, that day where curiosity got the better of me or someone harassed me into trying it lol. I tried it and absolutely fell in love with it. I haven't stopped since and that was almost six years ago. Today I own my own roleplaying forum and have so many awesome members there. It's amazing how many new friends you can make and how much talent you see. Especially when its from members younger then yourself that outwrite you like there is no tomorrow. But its cool to see that so many people share my same interests and we can all write together. Whether its real life or fantasy; I enjoy every single moment of it.

So I guess my purpose for making this post was to see if any of my fellow HF members enjoy roleplaying too. I don't know what kind of advertising is allowed here, but if you are interested in roleplaying with me, you are more then welcome to pm me here on the site or post something here.

Either way, happy posting! <3

MillieSantana 09-30-2013 05:22 PM

I love roleplaying!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

Ale 10-01-2013 03:47 PM

Oh man, roleplaying has been my favorite thing to do online since I started doing it. It's such a great way to escape from reality, even just for a little while. :)

Speed Racer 10-01-2013 03:49 PM

As long as you announce that you're role playing and not trying to create a fake persona to fool people, I don't see a problem with it.

When you 'role play' without telling others it's called lying. Deliberately making up stories to fool others into believing you're someone you're not is very bad manners.

I honestly don't get the appeal. I outgrew fantasizing about being a princess/warrior/elven maiden many years ago. When you're actually living in the real world, fantasy lives pale in comparison.

Ale 10-01-2013 03:53 PM

@Speed Racer

Actually, I think what you are thinking of is considered trolling. Roleplaying on a forum is where you create a character and a story and play the role of said character. It's not pretending to be a person you are not. Its a character in a story that you play along with other members in said roleplay :P

DuffyDuck 10-01-2013 03:53 PM

I used too, and then I got bored of all the stipulations people would try and put in place to get their own kicks out of being rude.

And there are only so many different ways you can describe hair. Flowing softly, glowing in the dim light like spun sugar on a hot summers day blah blah... Made my brain tired ;)

Speed Racer 10-01-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale (Post 3769466)
Roleplaying on a forum is where you create a character and a story and play the role of said character. It's not pretending to be a person you are not. Its a character in a story that you play along with other members in said roleplay :P

Then that's all well and good, as long as everyone knows it's just pretend.

I don't 'get it', but a lot of people don't 'get' horses either, so who am I to say LARP or even online role playing is wrong or stupid? If it's something you enjoy, have at it.

DuffyDuck 10-01-2013 04:00 PM

I found it really helped with my creative writing sections in my English studies. It can be great fun, and finding someone to banter back and forth with is awesome.
I fell foul of it, RPd a couple of years and the person turned out to be a troll, I broke off all contact. Need to be able to separate the two!

Ale 10-01-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 3769570)
Then that's all well and good, as long as everyone knows it's just pretend.

I don't 'get it', but a lot of people don't 'get' horses either, so who am I to say LARP or even online role playing is wrong or stupid? If it's something you enjoy, have at it.

Yes, its just pretend. Everyone on roleplaying sites is completely aware that they are only writing stories and not creating fake persona's for themselves. Roleplaying on forums is not to trick anyone or to lie. It's to put yourselves in the role of someone or something you create for the sake of fun.

And you're right. Not everyone likes the same things as everyone else out there in the world. It's just about respecting that fact that everyone is different :)

Ale 10-01-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 3769626)
I found it really helped with my creative writing sections in my English studies. It can be great fun, and finding someone to banter back and forth with is awesome.
I fell foul of it, RPd a couple of years and the person turned out to be a troll, I broke off all contact. Need to be able to separate the two!

I've had that happen a few times where members (actual people, not their characters) pretended to actually be someone they were not. Most of the time, it seems to be younger members pretending to be older. For me, I always keep on my guard with people. But there are people that I have been posting with for years, that I have even skyped with. It turns out you can make some really cool friends online, when people are being honest. :P