The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slide stopping!

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  MaieuticManege 
#1 ·
Guess who needs help again?!?

First of all, I want to thank all of you with help in slowing Whiskey down. Flexing her in circles has helped tremendously! She moves soo nicely and her head is almost right where I want it- I didn't have to use draw reins, training forks or martingales.

Here is my next "obstacle" I really want to teach her how to slide. Our arena has great bedding for sliding, and I won't put sliders on her until I know she is capable.
I really just want to know where to start with is and when I shoudl start seeing results. She already dead stops at a walk, trot and lope and then I back her up mabe 5 steps after the stop.

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Guess who needs help again?!?

First of all, I want to thank all of you with help in slowing Whiskey down. Flexing her in circles has helped tremendously! She moves soo nicely and her head is almost right where I want it- I didn't have to use draw reins, training forks or martingales.

Here is my next "obstacle" I really want to teach her how to slide. Our arena has great bedding for sliding, and I won't put sliders on her until I know she is capable.
I really just want to know where to start with is and when I shoudl start seeing results. She already dead stops at a walk, trot and lope and then I back her up mabe 5 steps after the stop.

Thanks for any help!
I've had horse that will come to a dead stop as well, but they want to do it on their forehand.

What I've found to get a horse thinking WHOA on their butt is to set em down, back up SOFTLY, and roll the over their hocks. (Direction doesnt matter)
Get them to think whoa a lot. Like to where you have to ask for forward motion... and think for a stop.

#3 ·
That is great advice, Buckoff. One thing I also like to work on is getting them to work off their hind end at all times. For me, lots of SMALL circles help. Start them large at a decent trot and then slowly work them smaller and slower until they walk. You should be able to feel when their butt "sticks" and they pivot on a hind foot. The instant that they do that, I release the circle and let them walk out. I just work toward longer and longer times with their butt stuck and go from there. That is also how I start training spins.

On another note, there are a few horses in the world that it is very hard to get them to stop on their butt. My QH Denny, no matter what I do, just likes to stop on his front. Even when he does stop on his hind, it is so choppy and rough that it beats me to death. I think it probably has something to do with his confo. He has a problem really reaching up under himself.

#4 ·
it is the easiest thing to teach a horse. You have to back them up a lot everytime you stop so they learn to use their hind end to stop rather than their front. Put sliders on, or flats for now , but sliders are they best because it wont make your horse bounce. When the horse stops, back them up about 3 to 4 steps then leave them alone and let them stand there for a min. A horse that slides and stops hard want to stop quick so it can relax for a min.

#5 ·
My trainer doesn't teach the command "woah" until it is time to work with them on backing up... By teaching them to "woah"/backup, when you go to slide u say woah, the horse thinks they should be backing up... Since they think they should be backing up they use their rear...

#6 ·
It is different with every horse. With my guy he loves to stop so just saying whoa gets him to slide. With my BO's horse she says whoa then bumps him lightly on the mouth and he stops. Now the more "stop" a horse has the easier it is for them to slide. Also the faster they are going the easier it is to slide.
When you are going to ask for the stop you have to ask on a straight line and you can't touch their face once they start. If they start to stop and you touch their face they will break out of the slide. So before you can expect a decent slide they have to be able to stop at a walk, jog with no rein contact at all.
Have fun with your horse. It is an amazing feeling to be running fast and then do a long sliding stop.

#7 ·
dont forget to use your seat. when you stop push your air out you should sit deep in the saddle but dont lean back. Also bring your feet in front of the girth so you dont try to go over his head. your seat aids will help him sit deeper in the stop. Also the rollbacks engage his hindend so he thinks butt down.

#8 ·
LOL@ smrobs - I have a mare that is much like your Denny then! Lady refuses to use her haunches to stop - when we fly, and have to stop quick, it's almost like riding Pepe La Pew - BOING! BOING! BOING~boingboingboing fhhhhhht.
I try to get them ready much in the same ways as everyone else has suggested, but I have them learn to turn on their haunches. It gets them off the fore, and gets them ready for rollbacks too.

#10 ·
I posted in your other thread about vertical flexion. If you can get her to stop while maintaining vertical flexion and then backing up a sliding stop will start to form, but don't just rush into it. First, start by backing her up when you stop. Then work on getting her to stop by just feeling your body so you can stop her without reins even at the lope. Then try to get her to stop while maintaining vertical flexion at the walk, and then the trot, then lope. Then repeat that last step, but add a back up after you stop, and she should back with vertical flexion as well.

Hopefully that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.