The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hooves didn't grow! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hooves-didnt-grow-28535/)

Walkamile 05-27-2009 04:27 PM

Hooves didn't grow!

Farrier was here this morning for our regularly scheduled 8 week trim. Well, he asked if I had been riding T a lot, since there was nothing to trim. He said the hooves looked good, don't panic (he knows me waaay to well!).

I have been riding her, but not enough in my opinion and based on our past riding together to account for no hoof to trim.

She is 20 , does the growth of the hoof slow down a bit as they age? Very curious about this development. Haven't changed her diet at all either. Though she is getting controlled time on pasture right now, though I would think that would help with the growth and not the other way. Sorry I'm just pondering out loud now. :-)

Thanks for reading!

Solon 05-27-2009 04:32 PM

Has it been really dry there? That can slow growth quite a bit.

Walkamile 05-27-2009 04:47 PM

Yes Solon it has for us. Not excessively but a bit off for this time of year. Though today it is pouring! :lol:

What would the dryness have to do with no growth ? Or is it because the ground is a bit harder and therefore more wearing?

Solon 05-27-2009 04:49 PM

My farrier says that during super dry weather the hoof growth will slow. Moisture really helps them grow.

Here's a good article for you:

http://www.farrierfocus.com/newsletter/august2008.html

Walkamile 05-27-2009 05:12 PM

That was a great article Solon , thanks for hooking me up! I'll keep an eye on this and I'm purchasing some hoof boots also. I don't want to wear her hooves down past what's healthy. I've never run into this before except during the coldest part of winter when neither horses hooves need trimming for 10 to 12 weeks! :shock:

Always something to learn, and as T ages, I believe there will be more and more to take into consideration. I want my girl healthy and happy and out there with me for a long time yet!

Cat 05-27-2009 05:15 PM

The growth rate on my horses' hooves always vary. It can depend on if its a dry vs wet, type of food, amount of riding, amount of movement the horse is doing. I know in the spring my own horses move around a lot more in the pasture on their own and will run like crazy at times. So even if I am not riding them - their spring silliness tends to keep their hooves in check pretty well.

Solon 05-27-2009 05:15 PM

My draft has gone through it. Just hardly any growth. So my vet suggested making a muddy spot in front the water trough where they can get some moisture into the hoof. A lot of people around here do that. Might help for you!

AussieDaisyGirl 05-27-2009 06:01 PM

Well, you learn something new every day!

stacieandtheboys 05-27-2009 08:46 PM

It is super dry here. I have had my farrier come out in 8 weeks and say the same thing.

EternalSun 05-27-2009 09:56 PM

I don't know of any scientific proof that supports this theory, but IMO age does have something to do with it. My mare passed away last year at the grand old age of 36, and for the last couple years she only needed her feet done 4 times a year. She was an Argentine TB and had very strong, hardy hooves that looked great three months after a trim. Her hair also stopped growing. Her mane and tail stayed the same length for the last couple years. Weird!