The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Thorowgood Dressage Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/thorowgood-dressage-saddle-285353/)

Emma24 09-29-2013 12:16 PM

Thorowgood Dressage Saddle

I found a good deal on a dressage saddle it is wide but when the sales associate measured across it has a 6 inch tree width. Is that considered wide for a thorowgood model? Also what kind of horse has anyone fit a Thorowgood on, my horse is a paint and has low withers, is round, and she also has a somewhat flat back. I can try the saddle but I am still buying from online so I do not want to ship back and forth. Any suggestions on the tree style of the thorowgood and type of horse it has been used on would be great.

Also I am seat size 17/17.5 but this is a dressage so might I be able to get away with seat size 18?

Thanks a lot
Posted via Mobile Device

Emma24 09-29-2013 12:37 PM

Also this is model number 081886 - I'm not sure if that goes up in width or has wide as the largest gullet.
Posted via Mobile Device

unclearthur 09-30-2013 05:33 PM

Salesperson is clueless. 6" tree? Where did she measure? Because if it was across the front, width varies depending how far down you go.

Thorowgoods come in widths - if it's a new T4/T6 with the adjustable gullets it's easy. If it's an older fixed-width model it'll be M, W or XW and tagged as such. If it's an older model with 'Fish' inserts, you can reduce the width by 1/2 or a full tree if needs be. Unfortunately the little red disk on the nearside stirrup bar only gives the seat size.

Whether an 18" will suit you (and don't forget the horse) rather depends on the model. If it's a square cantled cob-type saddle with a flatter tree it might feel too long, though the panels are shorter and flatter so may suit the horse better. The round cantled GP and Hi-Wither saddles have deeper trees so may be better for you but less good for the horse, depending on his back shape.

Thorowgoods fit a lot of horses well, in my experience, provided you get the sizing right to begin with.

Best of luck :)

Emma24 10-01-2013 08:52 AM

Okay thanks.

Would you choose a T6 or T4 model? I have the choice between 2. My horse has low withers and she is round. Her back is also pretty flat. So I am not sure which model might work best.
Posted via Mobile Device

unclearthur 10-01-2013 02:34 PM

The T6 has a better quality finish, but it was a more expensive saddle than the T4 so I suppose that's only to be expected.

Low withers, flat back and round sounds as if the Cob saddle would fit better than the GP (plus, if it's an adjustable gullet saddle they do an XXW 'S' gullet should you need it) but to be fair it's impossible to be sure without seeing the horse in the flesh.

TessaMay 10-01-2013 02:44 PM

I don't have experience with their dressage saddles, but I have had a Thorowgood Maxam since I was 12 and love it. It has fit a wide variety of horses over the years I've had it. My boyfriend recently bought a T4 AP saddle with the changeable gullet system and it is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat in.

MyBoyPuck 10-02-2013 11:14 PM

The T6 has been replaced by a T8 model. It's the semi leather version much like the older T6. I have the new T8 and love it. Dressage saddles seem to fit more forgiving than AP saddles. I would suggest having the seller send you a pic of a measured tracing of the underside of the saddle as if you were looking at it from the front. Then you would have something to compare to your horse's shape. I sold a saddle once that way. I used a flexicurve to get the shape of the underside and then traced it onto a cardboard cutout. Buyer was able to trace the cutout back to a flexicurve and check the fit on the horse. Worked great.

unclearthur 10-03-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 3781514)
Dressage saddles seem to fit more forgiving than AP saddles.

I agree. Part of that is because they fit slightly further back - tree points tend to be very forward on the panel and that means the saddle naturally moves a little further to the rear as you slide it back.

It's just as well to have extra room between shoulder and tree point - provided the saddle doesn't tip up or slide further back - because often you're asking the horse for more extravagant movement (well, I ask my horse but he usually refuses, lol) which means more scapula rotation.

Emma24 10-03-2013 07:46 PM

Thanks for the help - I asked the sales rep to send the measurement - not sure if she has ever done it that way though. I am thinking the Thorowgood may fit because my horse has low wither and a flat back, round/barrel shape, she is like 7 inches across so she's wide, but I have never tried it before so I want to check before buying. If you don't mind, which kind of horse have you used it on? Mines is a Paint, so she is not a cob like the thorowgood broadback advertises.

unclearthur 10-04-2013 03:44 PM

Breed is often irrelevant, type a better guide - it's the body shape that's important. For example, in the UK there are, very basically, two types of Welsh Section D cobs. The old-fashioned traditional line is a lot narrower built through shoulders and barrel than the more recent 'show' type.

Sounds like your 'Paint' is more what we would call Haflinger body-wise, in which case the cob saddle is still better as far as tree shape goes. Can't you fax or email the shop a template they can check against the saddle arch? I can't see how your 7" measurement can be compared with the saddle because I don't know where you took it from and to.