The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Keeping Cool on Hot Weather Rides (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/keeping-cool-hot-weather-rides-28544/)

7Ponies 05-27-2009 07:22 PM

Keeping Cool on Hot Weather Rides

How do you keep cool when it's really hot outside.

I live in Charleston, South Carolina. Our summers are brutally hot, temps in the high 90's - 100's and the humidity is about 1000%. I'm not kidding. There is a saying in Charleston that "it's so humid the clothes rot right off your back!!"

You will not see me outside without my "wet washcloth". I wear it around my neck, and use it a lot to wipe the sweat from my face.

You will also see me riding in shorts, because the alternative is to not ride at all.

What do you do to keep cool?? I could use more ideas.

Thanks.

Solon 05-27-2009 07:45 PM

Neck coolers! You can get them anywhere in any shape/size/color.

Cool Blue Flames Neck Cooler

7Ponies 05-27-2009 08:46 PM

How does that work. Do you freeze it?

Solon 05-27-2009 08:52 PM

I have one similar to that one and you put it in the freezer, tie it around your neck when you are ready to go out and it lasts forever. Just Google neck cooler and you can find them anywhere.

I actually got mine at the local feed store.

7Ponies 05-27-2009 09:41 PM

Thanks, I did look on ebay. They look like a good idea. I think I'll get a couple of them as they aren't expensive.

saint3meg3rlfc 05-27-2009 10:41 PM

Lots of water!
umm. Try and ride in the coolest part of the day (Though I'm sure that's pretty obvious.)
Get clothes made of light breathable material

Walkamile 05-27-2009 11:06 PM

Solon you are just a wealth of info for me today!! :-) I'm going to order one of those neck coolers.

As mentioned above, yes ride during the coolest parts of the day, in our case early am or at dusk.

And like also said, lots and lots of water. For both you and your horse. T and Walka drink from a sports bottle, the kind that squirt. Took a while to train them, but now they love it. Sometimes there isn't any water on the trail and I want to be sure they are getting plenty.

Got to admit though, even at our hottest and most humid time, still not close to what you are riding in 7ponies! Wow!

7Ponies 05-27-2009 11:37 PM

You get used to it.
A big problem with a lot of horses here is that they stop sweating, and that's a very BAD thing. My horse doesn't have that problem.

The early morning here are horrible, so humid it's like a fog, and no breeze. The early evening... I work :(. So I have to ride in the heat of the day.

I will try to keep my rides short and sweet then, and hose us both down after. Gandy stays in her stall in the barn with a big ole fan on her during the day. She get's turned out at night.

rosie9r 05-28-2009 01:18 AM

7ponies, I am from Charleston originally. Man its hot! I cant take the humidity anymore since I have been living in San Diego. I do the douse yourself with water trick. I spray down the horses legs and everywhere the saddle isnt going to go then soak my hat or my bandana under my helmet, my shirt, and drink lots of water the day before and during the ride. The neck coolers work really well too!

7Ponies 05-28-2009 01:23 AM

rosie9r, then you know what I get to deal with! Yep, I think the hose is the best solution. Luckily, I have a nice 20 x 30 inground pool. After I get done riding I can cool off in the pool. Gandy is not allowed in the pool however, LOL!!