The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   all about bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/all-about-bits-28546/)

JumpingJellyBean 05-27-2009 07:40 PM

all about bits

I was wondering if you guys could tell me about the different kind of bits and whats the purpose of the different kinds?

Solon 05-27-2009 07:54 PM

There are so many types of bits out there for everything you can imagine. This site has tons of info:

Bits

iridehorses 05-28-2009 08:43 AM

As simple as it is, there are only two kinds of bits but millions of variations. the two types are snaffle and leverage.

The snaffle has no leverage. The foot pounds you exert on the bit from your reins is 1:1 on the pressure exerted to the bit.

In the leverage bit there is a ratio of the purchase (the ring above the mouth piece that the headstall is attached to) and the shank (The piece below the mouth piece that the reins are attached to). There is also a chain or strap that goes under the chin, and using the mouth piece which acts like a fulcrum, applies pressure to the horse's jaw. The higher the ratio, the less pull you need on the reins to exert pressure. IE: if the ratio is 1:2 that means that for every 1 pound of pull you exert on the reins, then you are exerting 2x as much pressure to your horse's mouth, poll, and jaw.

The variations on these types are so numerous that there have been volumes written about each. How about narrowing it down a little? What discipline do you want to ride or at least English or Western?

smrobs 05-28-2009 08:51 AM

That is a great site Solon. Not sure I agree with their view on bits though. :) Must be from a site that pushes bitless.

rottenweiler 05-28-2009 12:15 PM

thanks for that link, I have also been wondering about different kinds of bits! I don't have time to read ALL that information right now but I saved it to 'my favorites' so I can go back and read it again and again

JumpingJellyBean 05-30-2009 01:55 AM

great link. could you tell me the difference between a D ring snaffle bit and a rubber pelam?

Nutty Saddler 05-30-2009 03:55 AM

Is the ' D ' snaffle single jointed , double jointed , port mouthed , mullen mouthed , rubber mouthed , arch mouthed , sweet iron , happy mouth etc .- - The same would go for the pelham post some pics for a more detailed description.

Basically the D is a snaffle and the pelham is well a pelham ( pelhams should be properly used with two reins and a curb chain )

JustDressageIt 05-30-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpingJellyBean (Post 317435)
great link. could you tell me the difference between a D ring snaffle bit and a rubber pelam?

A D-ring will put lateral pressure on the sides of the horse's mouth for aid in turning and getting clear signals to the green horse. It is not a leverage bit.

A pelham is a leverage bit. It has a (short) shank and a curb chain

Solon 05-30-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 316179)
That is a great site Solon. Not sure I agree with their view on bits though. :) Must be from a site that pushes bitless.

Definitely but I thought it had good info on the differences.