The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tails! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tails-28562/)

SallyRC123 05-28-2009 01:23 AM

Tails!

Whats the best way to grow a beautiful, long, thick tail? How do you grow your horses tail? I've heard that some people dont brush it, others keep it wrapped etc..

Any ideas?

brookelovesparelli 05-28-2009 01:38 AM

The only thing i could help you with on tails....is the don't brush it part... it takes one year for each hair you pull out to grow back (to it's full length). So this being said that is why people don't brush their horses tails at all, only when a really big show is on, & even then you would use your fingers ever so carefully to untangle the knots along with lots & lots of conditioner etc. good luck with you long beautiful, thick tail :D

DixiesPaintedNova 05-28-2009 01:42 AM

This is my favorite thing to do. I always love to do "tail projects."

One thing you should always do is Condition, condition, condition. I personally brush my horses tail every other day. I also keep it braided for about a week then take it out and brush and leave it down for a while. I also like to use MTG it definatly makes a difference in tail length. I use it on and off. When i don't use MTG i use the Infusium leave in hair conditioner. I also trim about two centimeters every three months off and i definatly makes a difference.

I've gotten my bestfriends horses tail about four inches past her hocks when it was just barely brushing her hocks. And my horse Comanche's tail is about a centimeter away from touching the ground.

toosleepy 05-28-2009 08:23 AM

http://www.horseforum.com/members/64...d-oh-1962t.jpg I only use human shampoo and conditioner, and use tons of infusium leave in hair treatment. I also keep it up in a sock all the time. take it down as needed, brush it out , put infusium in it, and braid it back up.

twogeldings 05-29-2009 02:25 PM

The only tail brushing I do is a quick once over and check to make sure no nasty knots are forming. Loki has a rather nice tail xD

satrider 05-29-2009 03:12 PM

I comb my mare's tail, which is probably a 'no no' as well, but have had no adverse effects. My horses are out in pasture and they get knots in them. I plan on using some of the MTG, everyone raves about it.:-P

WSArabians 05-29-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrider (Post 317128)
I comb my mare's tail, which is probably a 'no no' as well, but have had no adverse effects. My horses are out in pasture and they get knots in them. I plan on using some of the MTG, everyone raves about it.:-P

If it's just knots you are getting out, I wouldn't use MTG. I reccomend Vetrolin, or Mane & Tail Conditioner.
Vetrolin, I find, is the best and you can find it pretty much at any horse store and it retails for around $18.
It's a wonder for taking out knots and leaves it silky for a few days after use.

Jessabel 05-29-2009 04:06 PM

Make sure you deworm your horse religiously. And keep his sheath clean if you have a gelding, and her utter clean if you have a mare. Also, you don't want to brush it a lot because it breaks the hairs. Shampoo it sparingly and just finger through it if you have to. And keep the ends trimmed. Show Sheen or a similar product helps repel dirt and keeps the tail hydrated.

Some people use tail bags, but I don't have much luck with them personally. I just braid their tails if they need it. You just have to experiment to find out what works best for your horse. I've heard that half and half vinegar and Absorbine liniment helps manes and tails grow. Hope this was helpful. :)

NicoleS11 05-29-2009 04:30 PM

i brush my horses tail's. Growing up my mom was hard core about groming tails so i guess i got it from her. At shows she always did the test were she would pick up chunks and slowly let it go...if it didnt fall one piece at a time it wasnt good enough...it had to be like human hair kinda thing if that made any sense..

southerncowgirl93 05-31-2009 10:10 PM

MTG will help if you use it right. but my show horse just has a naturally thick and long tail. it drags the ground. i thinks its in her blood. her father and sister had it too...its pretty