The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Rider Position. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/rider-position-28565/)

ChingazMyBoy 05-28-2009 03:44 AM

Rider Position.

Rider Position

Hey,

I'm taking a large interest in my riding position lately….mainly my legs. I can't keep them still they end up coming to far forwards. What are some exercises I can do a home to help with this? Also how are ways you can work out your stirrup length. I do the one with the arm but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Could someone please explain it?

Information on the jumping position would be great as well. I know the jumping position but I am going over everything in my riding again, to improve on it.

Thanks Maddie.

Nutty Saddler 05-28-2009 06:07 AM

Try working without stirrups - stretch your legs downwards , this will help with leg and seat position.
Have lunge lessons - you can concentrate on your position whilst someone else takes care of the horse.

iridehorses 05-28-2009 06:14 AM

As for length, it can vary depending on the discipline you are riding but the rule of thumb for me (when I rode English) as a starting point was for the iron to hit me just above my ankle.

ChingazMyBoy 05-28-2009 06:26 AM

Thanks guys, I've been told by all my trainers that I have a good upper body but my legs are well a differant story and now that I've got Chinga I can work on my riding alot more. So I will be asking alot of questions!:)

MIEventer 05-28-2009 09:44 AM

Lunge Line Work, Reinless.

This will do wonders for solidifying your seat, your legs and your position/balance/centeredness.

No one is too good for Lunge Line Work, this is a fabulous way to put things into check, to correct bad habits that have occured and to reposition yourself. You quickly find your seat, how to use it, and you quickly learn to solidify your leg. You are forced to focus on your two more important parts of your body because you'll have no hands. You don't have to worry about what the horse is doing, you are able to focus on you.

When riders start out at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna - they are put on the Lunge Line for a solid year with no reins before they are even permitted to ride on their own. Due to this, they have phenominal rider position, balance and seat/legs.

When you do this, make sure you have an educated eye on the ground helping you.

I also recommend you pick up Sally Swifts books or DVD's - Centered Riding. Very knowledgeable woman.

I love Lunge Line Work. Very demanding, really makes you focus, and you learn and obtain much more than you would going around on your own.

ChingazMyBoy 05-28-2009 05:34 PM

Thanks MIEventer, that helped a lot, I will have a look at the book if I can!