The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mare heats (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-heats-285705/)

gramdee 09-29-2013 09:07 PM

Mare heats

I am not posting this threat with the intention of breeding, actually the opposite! Last fall we rescued 3 horses, all females. One is a 3 yr old filly, her yearling sister and her 20 yr old mother. The issue is... we do have a young stallion. we also have 1 older mare who we have successfully kept separate and not been bred and one mare that does not seem to take to breeding. The question I am asking is when do mares stop their heat cycles? Do to a watering situation where we keep them, in the winter we only have 1 place where there is water so we have been putting the one mare and stud together and carrying water to the other. what we are hoping to do is put all 6 together during the coldest months but do not want any accidents. It will be too difficult to carry in water to 3 pastures, 2 was easy, but not 3. I live in south central BC. if that is any help.

Freemare 09-29-2013 09:10 PM

Normally mares will start to go out when they are 20. But the thing is. They can some times get pregnant. Even when they are 20. It just depends. If I where you I would not put the stallion any place near the mares. You dont want to take a chance of them having a foal.

CLaPorte432 09-29-2013 09:11 PM

I have known mares to cycle all year round. Im in Michigan, so it does get cold here.

most mares here come into heat in March, and back out in October. but there are expections.

id never risk putting any mare with a stallion. mares can be successfully bred into their late 20s.

it sounds like you dont breed. why not just geld him and make your life very stress-free and simple? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

MsLady 09-29-2013 09:34 PM

There is a mare at the ranch I got my horses from that is 26 this year and had a colt in April. (I'm not saying I agree, just stating a fact.) I live in Oklahoma and have seasons, it gets cold and snows, but I still have a mare that stayes in heat all year, that is one reason I am on foal watch right now. Not the best time to have a foal, it's going to get too cold.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 09-29-2013 10:03 PM

Murphy's Law, you have some mares you don't want bred, and you have a stallion, maybe even a young colt that you think can't breed them, you'll end up with a foal or two or more. Murphy's Law is evil.

usandpets 09-29-2013 10:16 PM

Why not just put the mares together and the stud in the second area? You would still only have to fill two troughs.

Edit: Why don't you geld him?
Posted via Mobile Device

gramdee 09-29-2013 10:25 PM

I'm working on the gelding part... he belongs to my husband who is against altering! I'm all for it! I guess it is a myth that mare goes out of heat during the long cold winter months... sigh..

CLaPorte432 09-29-2013 10:49 PM

*sigh* Men!

Just do it...He'll never even know... Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyDraco 09-29-2013 10:58 PM

Welcome to the forum :D

Men sometimes have issues with the concept of "removing another's manhood"... But it is best for the horses, since they are herd animals. Much cheaper, easier, and less risky to geld the stud than it would be to spay the mares.

You can read this discussion with your husband, another member got some help from members as to all the reasons why it is in the horse's best interest to be gelded when they are not a breeding animal ;)
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-bree...ave-no-155832/
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 09-29-2013 11:29 PM

Men is right. Get him gelded when he isn't home :D

But it depends on your mare and climate. Ours tend to go out during the winter. I've had one come back in in January, others around March.