The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Dog Hives (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/dog-hives-285713/)

CLaPorte432 09-29-2013 10:33 PM

Dog Hives

893 Attachment(s)
My poor Lab appears to have Hives. I feel so bad for him.

I noticed last night he has bumps on the top of his head, hair sticking up in about 15 spots ontop of his head. His belly was itchy, to where he was doing the 'dog kick' that he scratches the air while you scratch his belly. He never does that. Hes not an itchy dog. His belly is reddened some, and appears to have some hair loss.

This morning the hives on his head were worse. So i gave him some Benadryl, that helped and he was not responsive to his itchy belly anymore. But he napped all day and generally acted like he just didnt feel good. Dry nose and all. :-(

The hives are now back and Im about to dose him with some more Benadryl.

Im used to allergies in dogs. Our other Lab (not related) is a mess. He has food allergies to wheat/corn/soy. They are fed 4Health Grain Free Whitefish and Potatoe and have been on it for months. Zak (mess of a Lab) has seasonal allergies we deal with all summer too. He had to go to the vet about 6 weeks ago for Prenisone (spelling?) He got so bad.

But ive never dealt with hives in dogs.

Its nearly fall here. Leaves have started drop, temperature changes. But typically dog's allergies will go away around this time due to there being less pollens in the air.

Just ranting because I feel bad for George. ...Cookies to whoever reads this...
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 09-30-2013 11:11 AM

I have fed Walmart's Old Roy to various breeds for years and never had a problem. After I watched a program on dog foods, done by a vet who teaches at a university and Old Roy was near the top of her list of better dog foods. Some of the pricey, so-called "healthy" ones were at the bottom. Her work was based on the ingredients. Grain Free Whitefish and Potatoe. Does the label mean grain free or that the fish were grain free and potato is a carbohydrate that dogs don't need. Pet food labels are not controlled like human food labels. The only breed of dog that survives on fish is the Alaskan Husky.

hemms 09-30-2013 11:32 AM

Hives is usually an acute response to something sudden and recent. If it were linked to a food allergy, there'd be tons of other symptoms for months before hives would appear. The benedryl is the correct response, and should have happened immediately. The reoccurrence of the hives tells me the offender is still present. What has changed in the last 24 hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

hemms 09-30-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 3759170)
I have fed Walmart's Old Roy to various breeds for years and never had a problem. After I watched a program on dog foods, done by a vet who teaches at a university and Old Roy was near the top of her list of better dog foods. Some of the pricey, so-called "healthy" ones were at the bottom. Her work was based on the ingredients. Grain Free Whitefish and Potatoe. Does the label mean grain free or that the fish were grain free and potato is a carbohydrate that dogs don't need. Pet food labels are not controlled like human food labels. The only breed of dog that survives on fish is the Alaskan Husky.

The only thing I can agree with, here, is the statement that regulations on dog food are non-existent when it comes to labelling (& production).

What looks good on paper is often not reality. The dog tells all. Old Roy = ridiculous shedding, dull loose coat. First indicator that there is not enough quality present to nourish coat health (last item on the body's to-do list). How much else in the body is lacking strong building blocks, that we can't see?

Premium foods are getting too over-thought and over-done.

The only way to truly know your dog's nutrition needs are met is to feed a clean (raw) diet. Anything else is second-best.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 09-30-2013 11:44 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemms (Post 3759322)
Hives is usually an acute response to something sudden and recent. If it were linked to a food allergy, there'd be tons of other symptoms for months before hives would appear. The benedryl is the correct response, and should have happened immediately. The reoccurrence of the hives tells me the offender is still present. What has changed in the last 24 hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

Right I completely agree.

And nothing has changed. No dietary changes. I have not bathed him with anything. He has not gone anywhere new. Just on our property. We have tall grasses and woods he runs through, but that's a daily thing since he was a puppy. He was born here. The only thing different is leaves are now falling and we have cooler temperatures.

This morning he still has hives on his head, and bumpy/warm ears, and hives now on his legs/thighs and his sides.

George has a 3pm vet appointment today.

SaddleBag, i can't feed any food with corn/wheat/soy in it due to our other dog having allergies to those ingredients. With 3 Dogs, its impossible to feed different foods. They always want what the other one has, and within days Zak gets a severe rash, itchy and loses hair. The grain free food has no grains in it at all. It is a fortified (vitamin/mineral) dry food, just with fairly limited ingredients.

Old Roy is also a food Id never feed anyways due to dogs frequently pooping (fiber), dull/loose coat that sheds all the time, and overall very poor ingredient list. If I wouldn't eat it, my dogs aren't going to eat It. But some dogs DO great on it...It really depends on the individual dog.

Raw on the otherhand Id LOVE to feed. But again, with 3 dogs...Its expensive. And I'm a little leery of them getting all the necessary vitamins/minerals from raw. I know many dogs that became deficient in one thing or anything due to improper raw diet.

when my female was pregnant, I did include raw in her diet the last 3 weeks of pregnancy and while she was lactating. On top of the canned food and premium dry food. She still ended up underweight. Poor girl.