The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Anyone know about Volvos? (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/anyone-know-about-volvos-285721/)

DraftyAiresMum 09-29-2013 10:38 PM

Anyone know about Volvos?

Particularly the V70 wagon? I'm on the market for a "new" (I me) car since mine got totaled in an accident (still drivable and not much damage done, but they can't find new parts for it, so the totaled it). I would really prefer an SUV because I have two 60lbs dogs (one should be closer to 75lbs when she's done growing), but I know that they're relatively difficult to find with lower miles in my price range ("lower" meaning under 150,000 miles).

Anyway, in searching Craigslist (I refuse to go to a dealership) I've come across quite a few Volvo V70s (and 860 wagons...I think that's what the V70 predecessor is called) for sale for cheap that have lower miles. I love the look of the V70 and it would fit my needs, plus I drove one when we had it traded in at the dealership I used to work for and really liked it. But, I'm a little leery of them being so cheap, since Volvos are NOT cheap cars to begin with.

So, anyone have experience with them or know why they're so cheap (we're talking under $2000 for late 90's to early 2000's)?
Posted via Mobile Device

littleamy76 09-30-2013 12:23 AM

I owned a '90 Volvo wagon. Can't remember what model though..ugh. It ran for a good while until I traded it in. Did not have good pick up speed. You HAVE to keep up with maintence though just like any other car. Parts can be expensive if you can find them. The seat belts on mine broke and one of the dealerships wanted a lot of money to just replace one of them. If you get one, DO NOT get one with leather seats. You freeze your butt during the winter and will burn yourself in the summer. Not very comfortable. Be sure to check online for any recalls as I think there have been some Volvo recalls.

Darrin 09-30-2013 02:23 AM

My parents had a Volvo years ago, back in the '80's. I know back then that parts were pretty darn expensive. Don't know if parts are still expensive or not but would help explain the sale price of used Volvos if parts price is still high. I would call around just to see what parts run for.

Joe4d 09-30-2013 01:56 PM

any thing that there is lots of with low miles should be a big red flag, if they didnt suck people would be keeping them.. think about it.
Like most european cars , overly complicated. To many doodads, and god awful expensive parts if you do have an issue.
Lots of decent American made mid size SUV's out there. Thats one segment the American makers do pretty good at.

Clava 09-30-2013 01:58 PM

I have a Volvo V70 in the garden...I wish someone would take it away:oops:, but my husband apparently says he is going to fix it:lol: and it is better than the one he drives.

WesternRider88 09-30-2013 02:03 PM

My Dad knows a lot about all kinds of cars. He says the parts for the Volvos are expensive, and that there is always something to fix. Also you have to make sure you keep up with the maintenance. He was a professional mechanic in a Mercedes shop. So he's told me everything about cars. :grin: