The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How often should I bathe them? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-often-should-i-bathe-them-285729/)

MinuitMouse 09-29-2013 09:39 PM

How often should I bathe them?

I have some questions about bathing horses this time,

1) do you absolutely need to bathe them?
2) how often should I bathe them?
3) what are some good quality shampoos and mane and tail conditioners in Canada?

Sorry if this should be obvious.:oops: If this helps, they will usually be in the pasture 99% of the day, and won't be going to shows normally.

waresbear 09-29-2013 09:50 PM

Hi welcome to the forum! Unless you are showing, no you don't need to bathe your horse. As to how often? I only bathe when I have a show, my other horse that I do not show any longer, never has a bath, although I do rinse the sweat off of him if the weather is warm. Any shampoo you find in a tack/feed store in Canada is fine to use, I personally like the Absorbine superpoo but others are fine too. Reason I like the superpoo is because I got a gob of it in my eye one time and it's tearless!

Alpinerider 09-29-2013 10:26 PM

Welcome! Bathing frequently is certainly not essential. In fact, bathing too much can be detrimental since it can strip the coat of its oils and can dry out the skin. Unless you're showing, I wouldn't stress about actually full-on bubble bathing your horse. Shows being the exception, I usually focus more on a good grooming/brushing to help spread the oils/improve circulation. If my horse gets sweaty after I ride in the summer, I'll hose her off. As far as good shampoos/conditioners in Canada I am afraid I am not much help since I am in the US (although Minnesota is pretty close :lol:)

I use Vetrolin shampoo and, if necessary, Quicsilver for my mares mane/tail/white socks. I order mine online usually :-)

pbeebs 09-29-2013 10:29 PM

Hi welcome! :)
The people above me have said it all!
I rinse mine off with the hose a lot, but as far as bathing with soap/conditioner, I do that a couple times a year. Once after the winter when it starts warming up, and usually right before the cold weather hits...just because I like to!

Also. I don't know about good ones to buy in Canada, but I never have really had a bad shampoo...anything at your local tack shop should work. If you're unsure, look up ones at your local tack shop and search reviews of them online.

boots 09-29-2013 10:49 PM

I only rinse the polo ponies off if they have sweated a lot during their chukker and it's hot out. If it's the least bit chilly, I cool them out and brush them after they've dried.

Fahntasia 09-29-2013 11:42 PM

Hi welcome!
I use vetrolin shampoo, and only before a show OR if shes reallllly dirty and sweaty.

Tarpan 09-30-2013 12:38 AM

I bathe when and if they start to have a noticeably bad odor.

Saddlebag 09-30-2013 09:24 AM

All the American labels are sold in Canada. Any inexpensive one will do. Shampooing a horse removes beneficial skin bacteria which we all have, except those who shower all the time. In hot weather I'll hose mine and then let them enjoy a roll and they'll find the dirtiest or muddiest spot they can. This helps with fly protection.

amberly 09-30-2013 09:30 AM

1) do you absolutely need to bathe them?

No you dont! Not unless you are showing - obviously.
2) how often should I bathe them?
If you are showing - then do it as much as you like, but don't always use shampoo and stuff because it can dull their coat.
3) what are some good quality shampoos and mane and tail conditioners in Canada?
CowBoy Magic products are good ones to use - I think they have some up there.

WesternRider88 09-30-2013 01:07 PM

Welcome to the forum. :)

You don't really need to bathe them unless you are showing them. Because using shampoo can make their skin dry if you use it too much. But you could just bathe them once in a while if you want, usually I hose mine down and they get just as clean. I like to shampoo their manes and tails once in a while though. :)