The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   rain rot (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/rain-rot-28573/)

nldiaz66 05-28-2009 08:22 AM

rain rot

My new horse,Sonny a 25 yr.old aqh has rain rot for 2 days, I have been putting mtg on it, is that the only thing I should do or should I bath him with fungus shampoo? Do I need to keep him in the stall when it is raining? My horses have never had this, so any suggestions. We have had rain here everyday for the last 3 weeks.

english_rider144 05-28-2009 02:08 PM

the Percheron I work with had Rain rot. I put him in the wash stall and soaked the spot in badadine(sp?) You can give your horse a bath with special shampoo but make sure you do it right. I would keep the horse in for a while.

lovemyponies 05-28-2009 02:13 PM

medicated selsun blue works also and microtek is great, shampoo and spray

nldiaz66 05-28-2009 10:46 PM

ok, I'll have to get some shampoo all I have is a anti-fungal shampoo, Thanks

WSArabians 05-29-2009 12:14 AM

MTG works great. Squirt it onto his effected areas and rub (try not to peel them off as it can be painful to them) until they come off.
,MTG is an anti-fungal lotion to help cure and prevent, and will soften the scab as you rub so it falls off as gently as possible.

nldiaz66 05-29-2009 07:47 AM

yeah mtg does work good. there is no scabs, I was grooming him the other day when I noticed some little dry scabs under his hair, all I did was gently go in circles with my finger and it came off that easy along with the hair, probably the size of a nickel, but its not a circle more like a 1/4 in. wide and 1 1/2in. long, know what I mean? The next day when the vet came out to give them their rabies shot I noticed it on the other side, so I will continue to do the MTG and get some shampoo, Thanks

nldiaz66 06-09-2009 07:03 PM

How do I know the mtg is working, he has it all long his topline and his hindquarters, I also heard destin daiper rash cream works, will balmex daiper rash cream work as well, does anyone know? I have gone though a whole bottle of mtg and I dont see any inprovements,there are no scabs just bald spots and his skin there looks black. how long does it take? Or should I try the balmex?

If this is posted in the wrong section you can move it...

morganshow11 06-09-2009 08:05 PM

My horse had rain rot, and i used alodine it worked great,

nldiaz66 06-09-2009 08:09 PM

I have never heard of that, what is it?

morganshow11 06-09-2009 08:28 PM

It's a medicated shampoo to prevent/ heal rain rot, and other skin dieses on horses.
Another thing: Dermatophilus Congolensis grows better with the lack of oxygen. Sice the organism dosnt like oxygen you'll have to eliminate the heavy hair coat(if your horse has a heavy coat).
Dont use ointments on the rain rot, since they hold moisture to the skin of the horse ( the moisture needs to be removed for the condition to go away).
hope it helped.