The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   How can you be more confident around horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/how-can-you-more-confident-around-285938/)

ErinaStars 09-30-2013 12:57 PM

How can you be more confident around horses?
 
So...I was wondering how I can be more confident around horses?
To be honest I'm a little nervous around horses and also when I ride them, and I know horses can sense things like that.
Any advice in this area? I was wondering if there are other people who have gone through this nervousness around horses and have overcome it?

Thanks a bunch!
~Ivanna~

tinyliny 09-30-2013 01:20 PM

Yep. lots of people are nervous around horses, on them, too. Fear is so very common amongst us riders. the real cure is time and chances to ride dependable horses. you are not alone.

TimeFlys 09-30-2013 01:21 PM

In my opinion the best way to get over being nervous around horses is to just be there around them. Hang out at a stable and groom groom groom. Of course it helps if you have a nice calm horse to help you out.

Ive had people come to my barn and just hang out. Almost everyone wants to hop on and go for a ride. I am by no means a professional instructor, trainer or accomplished horse woman. What I do is tie up one of my calm ones and we just sort of hang out with the horse and brush. I explain what the horse likes and doesn't like. We talk about body language and how a horse thinks. If the new person wants to ride I will then take them to the round pen and let them practice getting on and off. And learn kindness to the horse with the stopping technique.

Most adults are nervous because they know the danger of hitting the ground and possibilities of great bodily harm. Kids are the least afraid and want to go! If they want to ride in the round pen for an hour I will leave them alone with the horse only if they promise not to go faster than a walk and seem comfortable. long story short is just be there. Hang out, don't think you have to be an accomplished horse person sailing over fences or galloping thru the fields with your hair in the wind. Set a small goal and meet it like being comfortable on the ground. Small steps.

ErinaStars 09-30-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3760250)
Yep. lots of people are nervous around horses, on them, too. Fear is so very common amongst us riders. the real cure is time and chances to ride dependable horses. you are not alone.

Thanks! It kinda feels good to know I'm not the only one out there!:D

~Ivanna~

ErinaStars 09-30-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeFlys (Post 3760258)
In my opinion the best way to get over being nervous around horses is to just be there around them. Hang out at a stable and groom groom groom. Of course it helps if you have a nice calm horse to help you out.

Ive had people come to my barn and just hang out. Almost everyone wants to hop on and go for a ride. I am by no means a professional instructor, trainer or accomplished horse woman. What I do is tie up one of my calm ones and we just sort of hang out with the horse and brush. I explain what the horse likes and doesn't like. We talk about body language and how a horse thinks. If the new person wants to ride I will then take them to the round pen and let them practice getting on and off. And learn kindness to the horse with the stopping technique.

Most adults are nervous because they know the danger of hitting the ground and possibilities of great bodily harm. Kids are the least afraid and want to go! If they want to ride in the round pen for an hour I will leave them alone with the horse only if they promise not to go faster than a walk and seem comfortable. long story short is just be there. Hang out, don't think you have to be an accomplished horse person sailing over fences or galloping thru the fields with your hair in the wind. Set a small goal and meet it like being comfortable on the ground. Small steps.

Thank for the advice TF! I'll do just that! "Small steps" (I like that) I've seen and heard some stories of people that have had accidents when around horses or riding them, and I guess that has made me even more nervous!

Does spending more time with your horse create a stronger bond between both of you?

Thanks for the advice all! It is greatly appreciated (more then ya know)!

~Ivanna~

Palomine 09-30-2013 03:53 PM

I never remember ever being nervous or uneasy around horses up until a few years ago.

I've always be alert to what could happen, when you work with horses pretty much daily? You just expect things, but aren't nervous per se.

But after getting caught in trailer with a fool on outside with rubber tie stretched to GA and back??? And the subsequent mobility problems I am having? I am more aware now at 57 that I cannot move fast enough to get out of the way in emergency, nor am I able to get in and out of trailer easily now.

To me, the best way is for you to groom many horses, lead them, move them around, and in general get so familiar with them, the nervousness fades. That is the only way you will get over this.

Every time you can pick a strange horse's hooves up, move it over with voice or body language, or lead a horse and give it the eye that says you had better behave?

You will gain confidence.

sunhorse 09-30-2013 03:54 PM

i would say do some ground work if you can and get some guidance form some one with expense to tell you if it is being the right way. i have not even got in my horse that i will be learning on but have been doing ground work with her for a month. i has changed my view on what i had to really do. The first time i was introduced to horses it was by my friend and she put me on the horse and that scared me because i didn't know what i was doing with a large animal that could just ignore my weak willed gestures.

ErinaStars 09-30-2013 04:09 PM

And what do I do if the horse does not respect me(I'm new to him and him to me)...like pushing, nudging, giving me his rear?

PaintHorseMares 09-30-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinaStars (Post 3761170)
And what do I do if the horse does not respect me(I'm new to him and him to me)...like pushing, nudging, giving me his rear?

Be BIG (e.g wave your arms), be LOUD, and run him/her off.
Posted via Mobile Device

ErinaStars 09-30-2013 07:26 PM

Is there a link anyone can give me to a thread talking about horse body language?

This has all been really helpful!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0