The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Parelli Natural Horsemanship. (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/parelli-natural-horsemanship-285970/)

Godgirl 09-30-2013 02:32 PM

Parelli Natural Horsemanship.

So i am currently going through the Parelli Program with my horses and i absolutely LOVE it!:D I went to a clinic with Sarah Berg and it was really awesome! I am going to Maryland this October for a Parelli tour stop and I am super excited!
If anybody would like more info about Parelli just ask. I strongly encourage it!

Northern 09-30-2013 04:16 PM

Well, my last coupla questions, which no PNH student on here answered, were:

1. Why does Level 1 say to ride like Charlie Chaplin, i.e., do NOT turn toes or knees forward, but let them relax outward as far as they naturally go, yet now Colleen Kelly is directing to turn them in, even going so far as to say that the more hardware one has as an anchor, the better (hardware being the inside of knee).

2. Why, after 20+ years of saying that she doesn't believe a helmet will keep her safe, is Linda suddenly riding helmeted?

I'll throw this in, too: Why does Linda claim to have had an epiphany on how to cause a horse to happily take up contact, when for centuries, horses have learned to do so, as long as their riders have tactfully showed them how? Giving the horse release when he finds the "right answer" isn't new. Did the Mongols, e.g., have a hole in their training?

Saddlebag 09-30-2013 09:41 PM

Northern, she's the only one making a potful of money on her epiphanies.

Northern 10-01-2013 12:27 AM

It could be that Linda really believes that she got a revelation that no one else has; it's just that it wouldn't be hard to find out that from Xenophon (who said that anything forced with the horse is ugly, so that'd include forced contact) on down, there have been master horsemen who partnered their horses properly on contact. Pat's mentors (Ronnie Willits, Troy Henry, the Dorrance brothers, etc.) didn't equal Linda in understanding contact? Or the vaqueros whose names are forgotten, except by their velvet-mouthed horses? Did Nuno Oliveira need Linda's help re: contact? Of those still living, does Buck, George Morris, the Spanish Riding School, the Saumur, or Klaus Hempfling need to get the dvd?

It's one thing if a person believes that she's discovered something that no one else has, for the benefit of the horse, but it's deceptive to lead thousands of naive students to believe it when a bit of homework'd present the facts.

That said, I'm still open to hearing how Linda's epiphany improves upon anyone else's "methods" for contact; so far, in discussing a bit with other horsemen (as well as studying past horsemen), the evidence of something new is lacking. So, perhaps OP has something to say.

smguidotti 10-01-2013 12:45 AM

You know, as much as I love to make fun of NHS/Parelli followers, I have to admit that a lot of them seem to commit more time to working with their horse slowly instead of rushing through it.

I don't keep up with Linda or Pat or who ever God's gift to the equestrian world is now but what REALLY does she have to contribute anymore? And Do I need to may three easy payments of $19.95 to hear it?

Saddlebag 10-01-2013 10:48 AM

Maybe Linda had an epiphany because, maybe, perhaps, she's not the brightest lamp in the chandelier. Perhaps this is what the marketers have guided her to say to sell more dvd. I appreciate how the Parelli's are making great strides in eradicating abusive training methods but some of it is trick training that seems to be used as a tool for showing off.

KylieHuitema 10-01-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 3766418)
Maybe Linda had an epiphany because, maybe, perhaps, she's not the brightest lamp in the chandelier. Perhaps this is what the marketers have guided her to say to sell more dvd. I appreciate how the Parelli's are making great strides in eradicating abusive training methods but some of it is trick training that seems to be used as a tool for showing off.

Okay, this thread is already taking a turn towards what I believe the OP wasn't going for. Why does every single Parelli thread have negativity on it, when some don't even start with it? The OP was sharing her positive experience and people are already bringing negativity on it. Smh.

Corporal 10-01-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KylieHuitema (Post 3767802)
Why does every single Parelli thread have negativity on it, when some don't even start with it?

Most people with legitimate training methods point to their teachers and their teacher's resumes. The Parelli's pretend to have a direct line to a horse's brain.
Smells like snake oil salesman.
I don't like the way people who buy into their method don't really learn to deal with horses, and I cannot recommend their method. I learn things by watching programs by most of the other tv trainers. I recognize that their horses are calm and obedient. I've been in horses long enough--28 years of owning/training--to see what I like. I am willing to try new things that I see, like restarting a horse to a bridle with a soft, cotton lead rope, and I finally understand how to move a horse out on a lunge bc of some of these trainers. When I see them do something with a horse that I'd like to do, I pay attention. I also recognize when I see them train with something I happened upon, like the one-rein stop, which I learned to do with a troublesome horse a LONG time ago, without anybody's method to teach me.
I've watched several Parelli programs. I don't see anything I wish to duplicate.

mslady254 10-01-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 3760802)
Well, my last coupla questions, which no PNH student on here answered, were:

1. Why does Level 1 say to ride like Charlie Chaplin, i.e., do NOT turn toes or knees forward, but let them relax outward as far as they naturally go, yet now Colleen Kelly is directing to turn them in, even going so far as to say that the more hardware one has as an anchor, the better (hardware being the inside of knee).

2. Why, after 20+ years of saying that she doesn't believe a helmet will keep her safe, is Linda suddenly riding helmeted?

I'll throw this in, too: Why does Linda claim to have had an epiphany on how to cause a horse to happily take up contact, when for centuries, horses have learned to do so, as long as their riders have tactfully showed them how? Giving the horse release when he finds the "right answer" isn't new. Did the Mongols, e.g., have a hole in their training?

I'm not the OP, but here's my .02$ worth. I'll address your questions with questions of my own:
1) Do you do everything exactly as you formerly did it,,even things that you may have shared with others (taught). If you find an even better way, do you cling to what you used to do just for the sake of not changing because that's the way you used to teach it? I'll bet not. I'll bet an intelligent person such as yourself, and I mean this sincerely, is perfectly willing to change for the better. Why fault LP for doing likewise ? esp. when 'never ending self improvement' is one of PNH's themes....

2) see #1...plus,,,,I guess she, like most of us , realizes as she gets older (by 20 years as you say) that we are more likely to 'break instead of bounce' if we take a tumble. We, thererfore tend to take safety measures that we didnt deem necessary in our fearless youth. I can't speak for her, but that'd be my guess of why the change.

I havent studied her game of contact, so I'm really stretching to try to address this topic,I can only go by what I've read and heard from other Parelli students and ,I think, instructors. As I understand it, she doesnt so much claim to have had an epiphany on how to get a horse to happily take up contact as that she has come up with a way to explain it and teach it that makes it easier for a lot of students to understand and be successful with. I believe that Walter Zettyl , who apparently is well known and well respected has praised her work on this, and does think her method of teaching is to be applauded. She certainly is getting accross the concept of true collection rather than see-sawing on the reins and getting only a headset, which sadly passes for collection sometimes. I think you can appreciate that.
Neither of the Parelli's have ever claimed that giving the horse release when he finds the right answer is original to them. Pat himself refers , at every tour stop that I've ever been to, to his mentors, and gives them all the credit for the many,many,many things he learned from them. I've even seen him discuss great horsemen in history, including Xenophon , on the savvyclub forum and he mentions them all in depth in both of his books.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks!
Fay

mslady254 10-01-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 3769186)
Most people with legitimate training methods point to their teachers and their teacher's resumes. The Parelli's pretend to have a direct line to a horse's brain.
Smells like snake oil salesman.
I don't like the way people who buy into their method don't really learn to deal with horses, and I cannot recommend their method. I learn things by watching programs by most of the other tv trainers. I recognize that their horses are calm and obedient. I've been in horses long enough--28 years of owning/training--to see what I like. I am willing to try new things that I see, like restarting a horse to a bridle with a soft, cotton lead rope, and I finally understand how to move a horse out on a lunge bc of some of these trainers. When I see them do something with a horse that I'd like to do, I pay attention. I also recognize when I see them train with something I happened upon, like the one-rein stop, which I learned to do with a troublesome horse a LONG time ago, without anybody's method to teach me.
I've watched several Parelli programs. I don't see anything I wish to duplicate.

Isn't it interesting how two people can watch the same thing and come to completely different conclusions? Like the old cliche of the 3 blind men describing an elephant...remember that one?
Because what I've seen is that the Parelli's--esp. Pat DO point to their teachers and their teacher's 'resumes',,,Linda , so far as I know , points mostly to Pat, but then if you follow the trail, that is indirectly pointing to Ray Hunt, both the Dorrances, and other's, as well. Smells like someone giving credit where credit is due to me.
I can, and do , respect if the Parelli methods arent' something you wish to duplicate or recommend. No one method is right for everyone. In fact, Pat encourages his students to study other clinicians, after they have acheived a good foundation. He does encourage students to only follow one clinician initially to minimize confusion on the part of the student. I'm curious, does Clinton Anderson encourage his students who have gone beyond the foundational studies,,,to study other clnicians? seriously, I'd like to know if this is common practice. I have no idea
As to your not liking the way "people who buy into their method don't really learn to deal with horses", I'd really , reallllllly like to know who, and how many Parelli students or instructors you have observed, because this is not my experience at all. Also, we must keep in mind that all proclaimed students of any clinician may , or may not truly be following his/her methods and thererfore may be/maybe not representative of the success of their methods. However, that's your opinion and/or experience, and I'm not trying to change your mind. I can ,however, with great sincerity, promise you that I've seen some truly awesome 'dealing with horses' by students and instructors alike.

On a side note, this past weekend a friend of mine and I were playing with our horses at liberty in a 150 x 100 paddock. At one point, I suddenly realized there were 2 people at the fence watching us,,,a little later there were 3. They must have watched us for 20-30 minutes,and I'm 100% sure they came to the barn that day to ride their own horses, not to watch someone else. In fact they watched until we re-haltered our boys and left the paddock. I guess they wouldve watched as long as we kept playing....horses stuck to us like glue, softly following our suggestions to figure 8 around cones, weave thru poles, jump barrels, stand all 4 feet on pedestals, trot shoulder to shoulder with us, halt and back up...fun stuff! They went on and on about how awesome it was, how much they enjoyed. I'm thankful that we were able to be good ambassadors of Parelli Natural Horsemanship, and we never even mentioned the "P" word that day. Perhaps, though, at some future encounter, they might just ask me 'how do you do THAT with your horse", and it will be my great pleasure to give credit where credit is due and mention Pat and Linda Parelli.

I'm very sure that with your 28 years of being around horses, you have an awful lot you could share with me and teach me a lot of good stuff !! I would like that.

Cheers,
Fay