The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Please identify this bit! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/please-identify-bit-286322/)

Alba 09-30-2013 10:49 PM

Please identify this bit!

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify this bit for me? Hopefully either a picture or link will show up correctly!

image | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

trailhorserider 09-30-2013 11:24 PM

It's an Argentine snaffle with some type of twisted mouthpiece.

I'm really not sure what you would call that pattern on the mouthpiece. It's sort of like a twist but sort of different that anything I have seen before. But it's an Argentine snaffle for sure. :-)

Alba 10-02-2013 11:49 AM

Thanks Trailhorserider!

I've been trying to read up on this bit and figure out if we need a change. This bit came with the horse when we bought him, he is rumored to do english(hunters), western pleasure, trail riding, and had some training in reining? we've heard conflicting things since buying him:-( When we tried him out he was in a western saddle with this bit, very responsive, neck reined, moved easily, not difficult for my 10 year old slightly anxious rider to control.

We bought him for my 10, now 11 year old to ride in western events. She has been riding him on average 3-4 times a week for 5 months now. She competes in goat tying, rides in arenas and on the road when it is too wet to use the arena where he is now, is learning barrels and poles and would eventually like to do some 4H showing with him.

Periodically he will balk at going forward, but confident more experienced riders (than my daughter) are able to ride him past these issues (loose dogs, cows, tree cutting equipment, gunfire) with barely a blip, it is just my daughter who seems to have trouble with it so I assume it is a confidence/control issue.

We are currently between trainers and we have a friend(very experienced and I trust) who is helping her learn barrels and poles. She suggested he needs a different bit for better control? She also is not a fan of the mouth piece on his current bit. I'm not clear on if this is related to the bit but he drops his head and shoulder very low going around the barrel which she feels could be a big problem.

This is not the first time someone has suggested a bit change, the previous instructor did too but did not follow through and we unexpectedly left the barn, its not an option for us to go back to them for advice so I'm doing it now!

I would like to be able to show up with a new bit or two and reasons why and discuss the options with one of our IRL horse friends who know both our horse and my daughter because I don't think it will ever get done otherwise lol!

Can anyone suggest a different bit and tell me a little about why it would be a good change from this one?