The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Experience with Scarcoids? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/experience-scarcoids-28641/)

alexisconstantine 05-29-2009 02:55 PM

Experience with Scarcoids?

I have a AQHA mare that has a scarcoid on her right cheek...right where most bits connect to the headstall....my vet recommended Dr. Scholls wart freeze remover. Has anyone tried this?

Solon 05-29-2009 02:57 PM

I got a specific ointment from the vet that deals with sarcoids and they were gone pretty fast. I can't remember what the name was but you had to super careful and not get it on you when you were applying it to the area. Ask your vet about a specific ointment. Sarcoids can be really difficult to deal with.

Ryle 05-29-2009 11:11 PM

I would be leery of trying to self-treat a sarcoid with a cold treatment. Sarcoids are particularly nasty because any irritation (including attempts at treatment) can lead to them growing aggressively. Each attempt at treatment that fails also decreases the likelihood of future treatments succeeding. So, treatments should be chosen and applied carefully.
I have never heard of using Dr. Scholl's on sarcoids so add that to the two facts I listed above, I would be concerned about actually trying this. .

Is the vet who recommended this an equine vet? If not, discuss this with an equine vet to be sure you are making the best choice possible for your horse.

Solon 05-29-2009 11:14 PM

Ryle do you know what the ointment is that vets give out? Its gooey and like I said if you get it on your skin it's bad news. I cannot remember what it was called but it worked perfect.

Ryle 05-30-2009 01:56 AM

One of the most common is called X-terra.

Solon 05-30-2009 02:05 AM

I'll have to ask the BO tomorrow. All I remember was freaking out while applying thinking it was going to go through the gloves I was wearing.