The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How much does it cost to keep a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-much-does-cost-keep-horse-28643/)

crystal drops 05-29-2009 03:50 PM

How much does it cost to keep a horse?

Hello
I am interested in buying my daughter her first horse and wanted to know the average cost of keeping one eg feed,bedding,worming,shoeing etc...
If anyone could help i'd be very grateful.

Solon 05-29-2009 04:08 PM

It depends on your area and what kind of care you want.

Will you be able to keep your horse at home or board?

If you board there is full care, partial care and self care. Full care means you pay for the boarding facility to take care of everything (feeding, stall cleaning, pasture turn out etc.), partial - you do some of the feeding, maybe some of the cleaning and self care -you do everything.

I do full care and pay 300.00 a month. For that I get:

12x24 stall
All hay and grain (I have to pay for supplements)
60x120 indoor arena
Turn out pasture
Tack storage locker
Stall cleaning six days a week (boarders clean in Sundays)
Trailer storage
Wash rack

Other expenses are:

Vet
Farrier
Trainer
Basic supplies
Tack
Trailer

Lots of good books out there that help with getting your first horse. Have fun!

crystal drops 05-29-2009 04:31 PM

Thanks for your reply at the moment im in two minds on whether to go full livery or diy, if diy works out the same or close to the same price as full livery i would pick full.
Just interested in what other people pay so i know what to except and if im getting my moneys worth to what care my horse gets.

Solon 05-29-2009 05:01 PM

For vet care I pay the following:

Teeth: 145.00 (US dollars)
Shots twice a year : 65.00/35.00
Worming: every two months ( 2 tubes = 15.00)

Farrier: 100.00 for a trim (I have a draft horse - regular size horses a trim can be 25.00-50.00 shoeing can be 35-75 or more).

Training: I pay 20 per lesson, but my trainer charges other clients up to 45.00 per hour lesson.

Tack: saddles, bridles, halters, leadropes, brushes, buckets, grooming supplies. I find a lot of this stuff on eBay and online stores. We also have a huge tack sale in our area twice a year where you can get amazing prices.

horse trailer: 2000-8000 depending on size and style. My boy outgrew his horse trailer a few years back and I never did buy a new one.

When interviewing for a boarding place ask what their experience is in dealing with horses, ask to see their feed, the stalls, the pastures, the other horses. Talk to other boarders. Take a look at several different places before you set your mind on one.

When it comes to buying this checklist is super intense on what to find out about the horse. And always get a vet check prior to buying.

http://www.equinelegalsolutions.com/assets/HBC.pdf

Hope that helps!

JumpingJellyBean 05-29-2009 09:33 PM

at the barn i got to its:

Gold Package: $1000 per month. Includes 2 lessons per week in our competitive show program, inside box stall board, customized feed program, group turnout, catch and hold for farrier and vet, blanket and boot service.

Silver Package: $950 per month. Includes 2 lessons a week in our recreational lesson program, inside box stall board, customized feed program, group turnout, catch and hold for farrier and vet, blanket and
boot service.

Bronze Package: $800 per month. Includes 2 lessons per week in our competitive show program, outside group board, grain provided if needed, catch and hold for farrier and vet.

Champion Package: $750 per month. Includes 2 lessons per week in our recreational lesson program, outside group board, catch and hold for farrier and vet.

But it all depends where you go and what your interested in.

Joshie 05-30-2009 10:10 AM

Just a note, I responded to a craigslist ad. The family had purchased a horse for their daughter. They'd had her for two weeks and realized they were in way over their heads. Their daughter loved books, videos, etc.

Before purchase of a horse, I'd make sure that you have taken lessons for a while. I'd also recommend full board. How do you vacation if you have to feed twice daily? Especially for a first horse, I'd recommend (full) boarding for at least the first year.

Equitationxx 05-30-2009 03:56 PM

The cost depends on where you live and how you want to care for the horse. Some places, board is $300 a month. Some places it's over $1000. It all depends on where you live.

The same thing goes for feed, vet/farrier, tack, blankets, etc. as well as additional costs such as shows.

And keep in mind that you need to be able to dish out $10000 or more fast in case of an emergency, such as colic surgery. One big vet bill can destroy your finances if you aren't prepared for it, possibly for YEARS.

Please make sure your daughter is willing to commit to ownership of a horse as well and she should have experience looking after horses. If she doesn't you can think about leasing a horse instead.

Good luck! :wink:

JustDressageIt 05-30-2009 07:50 PM

Here are my costs, I will break them all down for you.

Initial purchase:
(one time costs usually, I am basing this off of MY costs)
Horse: $2500
Pre purchase exam: $370
Saddle: $800
Bridle: $100
Saddle pad: $40
Bit: $30
Brushing boots: $45
Hind boots: $35
Grooming kit: $60
Halter: $30
Lead: $13
Lunge line: $10
Feed tub: $10
Winter blankets: $300
Rain sheet: $130
Fly sheet: $100
Cooler: $60
Total: $4633

Fixed Annual Costs:
Board: $370/month (outdoor) x 12 = 4,440
Worming: $15 x 4 = $60
Trim: $45 (barefoot) x 6 = $270
Teeth: $300 (annually) = $300
Shots: $160 (annually) = $160
Grain: $15/month = $180
Supplements: $50/month = $600
Total: $5970

Extras
Insurance: $400/year
Vet fees (my horse has been injured twice in 7 months): $1100
I would recommend having a bit of money saved up "just in case" : $1000
Plan to spend another $500 on extra stuff throughout the year; you'd be surprised at how often a halter gets broken, or a hoof pick needs replacing, etc.
Total: $3,000

I would recommend that if your daughter likes horses, try getting her to take lessons for a year or two prior to buying. A lot of parents are super excited to help a young girl start off with a horse, and she loses interest within a year.

JustDressageIt 05-30-2009 07:51 PM

Just to add.. my horse has cost me almost $10,000 in 7 months because he was injured twice very quickly after I bought him.
Riding is a lifestyle, not just a hobby ;)

Whipple 05-30-2009 09:27 PM

I would recommend lessons first, and if you really think she's serious, go for part boarding or leasing. Like many have said, owning a horse means way more then going out to ride a couple times a week. Even if you are boarding.

Then again, I do not know if she already has had lessons or if you have already leased a horse. If so then good luck with your new horse! (It will be yours too, there will be those times she will come to you asking to feed or muck. It's inevitable as a parent to a child with any sort of pet).