The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sam seems to have gone lame (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sam-seems-have-gone-lame-28644/)

twogeldings 05-29-2009 02:59 PM

Sam seems to have gone lame

I noticed Sam walking a tad bit funny a few days ago. I didn't think to much of it, he's old, I don't expect him to glide along like my youngsters. I put him on a no-riding-no-exercise watch.

Then yesterday I noticed he was walking even more funny. Not good. I brought him up and checked him over well. He has a dent (?!) on the left side of his hindquarter. About an inch long. He's never had this before, it's strange.
He also has a slight scuff on his...hock I believe but it looks old, it's not inflamed or worrisome.

Nothing in his shoes, other than on the bottom of his hooves, you can scrap white stuff off. O_O' Farrier is coming out early next month.

Now however, I'm really worried. He seems to have gone lame on his left hind. He doesn't walk straight on it, and when he does walk, he limps heavily. He will take a step forward, and his whole rear end shifts heavily to the left.

The only thing I can think of is;
Loki or Red kicked him, and he's sore because of that.
He bruised his sole stepping on a rock or a stump, and now it is causing him pain when he walks on it

He picks up his leg without a problem, there is no noticeable heat or cuts on the limb, other than the dent and scuff. He doesn't show signs of discomfort when the limb is touched or pushed on.
I'm going to be looking at him again today (I can't at the moment T_T I have to babysit). Any ideas otherwise...?

He also threw a shoe on his front right today as well. Yesterday, he was limping, but not to badly. It was noticeable, but not as noticeable. Today after he tossed his shoe is when he started limping really badly as described above.

Farrier is coming out next month, vet the month after that.

Solon 05-29-2009 03:04 PM

Could it be an abscess? Does he have a pulse above the hoof in that leg? Hope he feels better soon.

NorthernMama 05-29-2009 05:48 PM

Could also be that he has arthritis and he slipped or got banged/kicked and that is now aggravating the arthritis that you didn't know about before. Keep him on free range -- don't stall him. Check for pain along the rear of his back and hip areas.

I know a dog is a dog and a horse is a horse, but this is almost the very same as what happened with my old dog -- one day fine, then he fell and ever since he's been in pain. (being treated, but he will never be med free again until he dies.)

If you bang on his sole all over, is there a sensitive spot? Does he bear weight on the left hind when he stands free?

I don't know about this "dent" -- what do you mean? Can you post a pic?

Also, having problems on the diagonal (right front and left hind) makes it very difficult for a horse. He doesn't have any portion of his step that is pain free. Rough.