The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What feed do you use to keep your horses happy and healthy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-feed-do-you-use-keep-28645/)

PersonalAwe1084 05-29-2009 03:10 PM

What feed do you use to keep your horses happy and healthy?

What sort of feed do you use to keep your horses happy and healthy? Please include the price of your feed, the brand, and more information about why you chose this feed and how it has helped/affected your horse(s).
Thanks!
:-):D:-)

Solon 05-29-2009 03:12 PM

Good quality hay.
Lots of water.
Salt block.
1.5 lbs. packer pellets.
1.5 cups Mazolla corn oil.
2 scoops of MSM (for hooves).

Happy, healthy, shiny horse.

7Ponies 05-29-2009 05:19 PM

I am currently feeding Nutrena Vitality 10% feed with Alfalfa Timothy Hay and pasture.

My horses are looking really good, nice body weight, really shiny coats, good feet.

I'm happy.

Oh, prices. The Vitality is 15.50 for a 50lb bag. The Hay is $11.00 for a square bale. Nice thing about alfalfa is, you don't have to feed a ton of it. I also use the alfalfa cubes (purchased at TSC) and soak them in water before feeding them, my horses love them.

Our local hay (coastal bermuda) is pretty nasty unless you get a new cutting (which they haven't started cutting yet).

PaintHorseMares 05-29-2009 06:09 PM

We keep it simple.. orchard/fescue hay ($7/bale) and a small amount of Nutrena SafeChoice ($15/50lbs). They all look good and can ride on the trails all day long with energy to spare.

Nutty Saddler 05-29-2009 06:27 PM

My vet said that all I need to feed is lucerne and oats

riccil0ve 05-29-2009 08:21 PM

In the winter, when their isn't so much grass, they get alfalfa hay [it was about $16 a bale this last winter, eek!] and I throw about 2.5 flakes out in the morning for the two to share, and when they retire to their stalls for the night, Ricci gets between 1 and 2 flakes, [she's an easy keeper] and Gracie gets as much hay as she can eat, since she is still growing. As far as grain, Ricci gets a coffee can of timothy pellets, Standlee brand or something like that for $10, joint supplements from Joint Combo [a whopping $52], and a hoof supplement by Horseshoer's Secret [$32]. Gracie gets half a coffee can of timothy pellets. They both get a "glug" of Mazola [?] corn oil. I don't know how much it cost, my friend bought it.

During the summer, I alternate between the really grown pasture and the not so grown pasture, and I switch to grass hay [$12] and alfalfa pellets [same brand, $10]. Day 1 in all the grass, day 2 and 3 in the not so grown, and day 4 back in all the grass. On the grass days, they do not get hay in the morning, and at night, Ricci gets a small flake and half a coffee can of pellets, along with her hoof and joint supplements. Gracie gets as much hay as she'll eat and half a coffee can of pellets. On the not so much grass days, everyone [3 horses] shares about 2.5 flakes in the morning, and Ricci gets 3/4 a coffee can at night. Gracie gets the same every night. At night, Gracie gets as much as she'll eat, and Ricci gets about 2 flakes to share with the third horse [a boarder.]

Qtswede 05-29-2009 08:46 PM

My girls get Alfalfa/Timothy/Orchard Grass hay, Strategy, a local sweet feed, barley, corn oil, free choice mineral block. The Strategy runs around $14 a 50# bag, and the sweet is around $15 for a $50# bag. Barley is $16 for 40#. mineral block is $9. Waiting to see where hay is going to be this year.
They get some time on pasture during the summer too. When I have to leave for a few days, I set a round bale in the paddock, and just let them go on it 24/hrs. I have someone who can check the water level on the tank, but I don't make them handle anyone.

Colorado Dobes 05-29-2009 08:58 PM

The feed I use is Kent Dynasty Pro. It is $14.60 for a 50 lb. bag and I chose it after I went to a Clinton Anderson seminar and talked to a Kent rep. I love it. My mare was on strategy when I got her and she has really improved in condition since I switched her.

smrobs 05-29-2009 09:29 PM

During the winter, my horses have free choice of mixed bales of alfalfa and good quality grass hay. Now that it is summer and there is grass in the pasture, they don't get fed alfalfa, just grass and they all stay ridiculously fat and happy.

Erin_And_Jasper 05-29-2009 10:01 PM

i feed Purena Equine Senior. and free choice hay/pasture