The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Fast Fast Horse:( (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/fast-fast-horse-286578/)

abbierose1656 10-01-2013 01:45 PM

Fast Fast Horse:(

Hey all. My horse is always wanting to just go go go. When i get on we are fine for the first couple minutes but once the blood starts flowing she is constantly trying to go go go. It's very difficult to keep her calm and slow, im constantly giving half halts and squeezing the upper thigh. It works for a second, but then were back at it. When we walk we are doing some kind of wannabe TWH:?. When we trot we to a MASSIVELY extended and fast one:shock:. And the canter.. Nope, we gallop:shock:. I have tryed and tryed and tryed. I need someone to tell me what to do. She is sound, saddle fits. Also, lunging does nothing. As i mentioned once the blood is flowing it keeps going and going. She doesnt get tired!:evil: Therefore im left clueless. Please help me and my horse:) -thanks

Corporal 10-01-2013 01:56 PM

Each time I tell people that every TWH or TWH cross or my two current KMH's--gaited and genetically related--have or has had big motors, somebody here says, "Oh, no...MY gaited___ is soooo laid back," inferring that that is normal.
Nope.
Gaited horses really groove on having big motors and they prefer to gait--fast.
Dh and I have been retraining his KMH to walk. He now prefers to walk in our small training area, and we've progressed to training the same in our north pasture, 250' x 310', rectangular. It isn't impossible to train a gaited horse to mozey, like a laid back QH on a trail ride, but it will take a LOT of time to retrain it. Just keep saying, "no" and ask for the walk and praise when you get what you want.

abbierose1656 10-01-2013 02:04 PM

Oh, she doesn't gait. I meant it as an example of how how fast she tries to walks. Sorry.

ptvintage 10-01-2013 02:08 PM

One of my horses gets very quick and excited too. Whenever she gets quick, I make her circle into progressively smaller circles, think "slow" with my body, and ask her to get into a frame. In the beginning I'd have to do many circles until she slowed down, but now I'm at the point where as soon as she realizes she's circling (like 1/4 of the way into the circle), she drops down several gears (part of which is due to the half halts to put her on the bit, which she understands better on a circle). Then I proceed on with whatever I'm doing. Repeat as needed.

I'm a big, big, fan of circles.

Corporal 10-01-2013 02:08 PM

That's ok. The principle is the same. =D

abbierose1656 10-01-2013 02:10 PM

Thanks for the advice ptvintage

morganarab94 10-01-2013 02:34 PM

I am also a firm believer in circles. If she starts getting fast then circle circle circle until she slows down. She will eventually get the hint. :)

TessaMay 10-01-2013 02:57 PM

If you lunge her before you work her and try to run her until she's tired, it's not going to work. It may work the first time or two, but in the end you are just going to hype her up instead of calm her down. Try lunging her at a trot with the goal to relax instead of wear her out. Walk and trot only, start in small circles so that you have control and keep working to calm her and get her listening to you before you get on.

When you are on her, I agree with the others: circle, circle, circle. And slow her with your seat. If your seat is telling her to go faster, then slowing her with your reins isn't going to work for more than a moment or two.

BlueSpark 10-01-2013 03:46 PM

what breed is she? One of two things could be happening here. Either she is naturally energetic and forward and you are asking her to be quiet and laid back, which never works out well, or she has got it into her head to go-go-go, likely because someone ran her a lot. The latter can be fixed with lots of circles, miles and many wet saddle blankets. Once she discovers that she might actually have to work until tired she'll start to appreciate the slower speeds.

how experienced are you?

plomme 10-01-2013 10:32 PM

Do you know how to do any collecting exercises, like shoulder-in, travers, etc.?