The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Is this reasonable? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/reasonable-286586/)

Ripplewind 10-01-2013 04:10 PM

Is this reasonable?

I really, really need a job. The problem is, I am a horse snob so I am not willing to spring for a job at a fast food place unless it is my ABSOLUTE last resort. There are a few places very close to where I live, so I was thinking I could just stick a letter in their mailboxes and hope for a reply (at least at first, if after I week I don't get a response I'll just knock on their front door).

So the premise of this thread is my price. I am willing to just shovel poop, groom, help out in any way I am needed. I like to think I am pretty horse savvy, but I don't want to present myself as an assistant trainer or whatever. Because honestly I need more experience before I can advertise myself as such. I have exercised two horses for two different people before, one of which was a crazy mare with an even crazier owner. She had a major rearing problem. I worked with her and after about two weeks there was a significant improvement in her; there would be rides where she wouldn't even threaten to rear up on me. The second horse, I have only ridden twice so far but his owner is someone I consider to be a friend, and he is such a sweet boy. :) She is also paying me. I have no idea how much, but every little bit helps.

Still, I am realising that there are just so many things I need to buy and my parents do not have the money to spend right now.

So I am going to advertise as a stable hand/groom/stall-mucker-outer. How much should I charge? I was thinking $10 or $12 an hour. I would only be able to do about five hours a week, on the weekends, at least at first. I have my own horse to take care of, and a filly that I am training for my senior project. The poor little girl is too skinny, so I am also coming every night to feed her (and my horse) otherwise they won't get fed properly. :evil:

I digress. How does my price sound? Is that too much, or could I push for a little more? I am a very hard worker, even if I can be a bit clueless sometimes. I am also a bit OCD so if it isn't as close to perfect as possible, I snap. By the way, my area is the Blue Ridge Piedmont region, if that helps with the pricing at all.

GamingGrrl 10-01-2013 04:14 PM

The hard thing with being a stall cleaner is the lack of hours. It really doesn't take more than an hour to do an entire barn. So you've got an hour of hard work, and 10 dollars in your pocket. It's better to choke on your dignity and do the mind numbing fast food jobs and actually have some money in your pocket when it's all said and done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple 10-01-2013 04:17 PM

146 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripplewind (Post 3768970)
I really, really need a job. The problem is, I am a horse snob so I am not willing to spring for a job at a fast food place unless it is my ABSOLUTE last resort. There are a few places very close to where I live, so I was thinking I could just stick a letter in their mailboxes and hope for a reply (at least at first, if after I week I don't get a response I'll just knock on their front door).
l.

In my experience, you gotta be willing to start at the bottom to get to the top. For the most part, there are hundreds upon hundreds of young people like yourself willing to graft for next to nothing. Working students, ect get paid sod all for darn near slave labour.

Until you establish yourself as a good employee with a good employment record, you can't be calling the shots. Those fast food places will tide you over while you build up your resume. Don't ever be afraid to do the "small persons" job - it's those jobs that build your character and show a dedication to work that employers like to see.

I'm working two jobs at the moment, and they are polar opposites. My main job is a very well paying position.. higher than a lot of people in our current economy. For extra cash, I'm also working a minimum wage job that the majority of people would look past. What will be the end result? Darned good reading for any job application that I send out, and extra cash in my pocket to buy the things I need/want.

jaydee 10-01-2013 04:17 PM

I don't know about the US but in the UK most stable work pays only the minimum wage and there's nothing glamorous about it either
Many of the young people who work in fast food restaurants, supermarkets and chain stores around here are college or high school students - my own son being one of them. There's no shame in it!!!

Corporal 10-01-2013 04:19 PM

My 33yo DD was earning ~$35K/year as a Game Stop Manager until she got a new boss and lost her job. She had worked for them for 11 years and turned around a store that had loss and employee theft, to profitable. She managed that store for 5 years.
Right now she has 20 hr/week retail job--nice bosses--and she is a Notary Signing Agent, which makes her an independent contractor. She moved in with her younger sister who is a 3L (3rd year Law student) and keeps her costs low. The only debt is her car and living expenses.
She deserves $higher, but is happy with her room-mate and happy to be employed.
Grow up. We are in a Depression right now. Nobody will pay you $10-$12/hr unless you have a show work history as a magnificent groom. You do not. Get a part time job flipping burgers or, if you know how to do business, work as a temp and spend $10 on business cards and find a 2nd part time job at a stable. Good luck.

Ripplewind 10-01-2013 04:24 PM

Thank you guys, I think I needed that humbling, however harsh it feels at the moment. I'll see if PetSmart is hiring....at least I'll be doing SOMETHING with animals, right? :) (Even though I'll probably just end up being a cashier) Actually, there is a history with the particular PetSmart in mind that I am remembering. Apparently the manager is an *******. Oh well. No harm in applying anyway. (and the guy who told me this story started throwing poop at his manager, so that is probably a biased tale, at best)

Speed Racer 10-01-2013 04:29 PM

$10-$12 an hour for what is essentially non-skilled labor? No, you're not going to find that anywhere. You might make $5-$7 an hour if you're lucky.

There is no shame in working food service, so if you think you're too good for it, think again. You'll at least make minimum wage, which I believe is somewhere in the $7.25-$7.50 an hour range. Any legitimate retail service job will pay minimum wage so you don't have to limit yourself to food service, although they're the ones with the highest turnover and won't go with a lengthy, drawn out interviewing and hiring process.

Some people actually make a career out of food service, although the majority use it as a stepping stone to other paths. Neither option is wrong, and there is no shame in any type of hard work.

DuffyDuck 10-01-2013 04:37 PM

I worked at a military saddle clubs on weekends. 0700-1800 both days, €100 for the entire weekend. Didn't even cover minimum wage.
I was mucking out thirty horses, turning out, poo picking huge fields, scrubbing water and feed buckets, then grooming ten to twelve, tacking up for the little snots that arrived for lessons, throwing and sorting muck that liveries couldn't be bothered to do, hosing out wheelbarrows and cleaning forks, tack cleaning, stacking the hay barn. And that was without bizarre requests. Oh and sweep entire hard twice a day.

Give me burger flipping any day.

EquineObsessed 10-01-2013 05:40 PM

Working at a barn is not glamorous. I'm a working student, and I absolutely love it because I'm learning a bunch, but it doesn't pay that well. It's worth it to for the lessons and learning. I'd pick the barn job every day, but I got lucky in my situation. Realistically, fast food would be easier money, and it is less dependent on weather and other factors.

DancingArabian 10-01-2013 05:52 PM

Along with what everyone else said...do not leave letters. If you're interested in working at a barn, call, go in person

Some red flags in your post...
1. If you're not able to support yourself and your hobbies on your own, you have no business with the mentality of any kind of snob
2. You're saying you need things and your parents can't afford it. Your first thoughts silhouette be of getting the money together yourself, not trying to scrounge up a job because your parents don't have the funds for your hobby
3. Never ever work for anyone without knowing how much they're paying and how much work they're expecting
Posted via Mobile Device