The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Your favorite toy for horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/your-favorite-toy-horses-28662/)

twogeldings 05-29-2009 11:00 PM

Your favorite toy for horses

I'm looking into getting some toys for the boys...but I don't know what! Loki plays with EVERYTHING it's insane. I figure some lickity-rollity-goofy-funky thing should keep him amused from sun up till sun down. Him and Red have decided that eating their shelter is now a very good idea. -sigh-

Sooo what are your guys favorite horse toys? I was thinking maybe getting a Jolly Ball and perhaps some wall-mountable moving treatish thingy....yeeah.

Solon 05-29-2009 11:46 PM

Amazing graze. You put treats in it and they have to roll it to remove them out of a small hole on the side. It's great for stall bound horses, horses that are easily bored, any situation.

It's draft horse tested and approved:

http://x03.xanga.com/5e5a406a4543073.../m49198702.jpg

And a video of Solon and his best pal (had to be put down last year):

Amazing Graze Toy - Videos - liviatasia's Xanga Site

rosie9r 05-30-2009 10:38 PM

Dean has a jolly ball I hang from a rafter in his stall, he also has a big orange cone (donated by the water authority hehe). The amazing graze is a great one, I made mine myself out of a gallon water bottle but I hang it up in his stall and he has to push it around to get the treats out the little holes in the bottom.

Have you seen those giant soccer balls for horses? Insane hehe!

Midwest Paint 05-31-2009 04:40 AM

I have done the milk container with treats and various port sizes cut into it, then hung. That works pretty good.. They smell the treats and bounce the gallon milk container for hours, and its cheap (in Embers case, cheaper then the electric bill of the barn lights being turned off and on all night by her). I do want to see about getting one of those larger balls for them to kick around!

twogeldings 05-31-2009 11:34 AM

XD I do want to get one of those giant balls. I bought a regular blue Jolly Ball yesterday. I want to see how this one hold up before I try anything special, like a scented one.

I think I'll have to make them a treat dispenser. It would certainly keep them occupied while their cooped up in there paddock.

Solon 05-31-2009 01:26 PM

Out of all the horses that have been at the barn I board, I've never seen one show interest in the jolly balls. But the horses in their ads play with them! If you'lr going to make your own Amazing Graze, make sure it's sturdy. Solon will beat the you know what out of his when he plays with it.

We have the soccer balls at our barn but we use them for actual horse riding soccer so the horses don't get to use those as a toy - they are expensive!

twogeldings 05-31-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 318181)
Out of all the horses that have been at the barn I board, I've never seen one show interest in the jolly balls. But the horses in their ads play with them! If you'lr going to make your own Amazing Graze, make sure it's sturdy. Solon will beat the you know what out of his when he plays with it.

We have the soccer balls at our barn but we use them for actual horse riding soccer so the horses don't get to use those as a toy - they are expensive!

I got it mainly for Loki because he must play with everything. Me and my dad made a pasture feed trough out of some 2x4 and half a plastic barrel, whenever I go out there, it's usually tipped over and in a very different spot than were I left it.
Always Loki. The first time he ate out of it, he snorted at it for five minuets, ate his grain, then started playing with it :lol:

I can just picture him with a Jolly Ball firmly in his mouth...chasing Sam and Red around the pasture...

kchfuller 06-02-2009 05:48 PM

ok so i am interested in this thread too b/c we have two boys who eat and terrorize EVERYTHING! They pick up buckets and through them, will stick their heads though the fencing and life it off the hinges and free themselves, eat wood, lean into the fences to bend them so they can reach the grass on the other side, chew tails and blankets, messes with chains or latches till they come undone and the list goes on ... we have tried the balls but they could care less about them - so i am interested to see what you guys suggest...

AussieDaisyGirl 06-03-2009 06:40 AM

I've thought about getting Carolina a jollyball to play with. Not sure how she'd take to it though.

G and K's Mom 06-03-2009 11:09 AM

We have a Jolly Ball and the horse's have never touched it. Traffic cones are a big hit around our place. We also have the Lik-It sack ball, which is along the lines of what Solon has. Snak-a-Ball by Likit-Boredom Prevention for Horses-Red - eBay (item 140323654374 end time Jun-04-09 10:26:45 PDT)

We also have one of these in their stalls, we only put one small Lik-It in at a time.

Likit Tongue Twister from SmartPak Equine

They also like an Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Ball:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...h/f86c7440.jpg

Of all the things they seemed to like this the best, especially when I put the grain ball inside of the pool. It kept them busy for a couple hours at a time.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...rgepool-sm.jpg