The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Intro (Horse) or Intro (Rider)?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/intro-horse-intro-rider-28673/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-30-2009 09:34 AM

Intro (Horse) or Intro (Rider)??

I'm entering my first ever show, an Eventer Mini Trial, June 21st, and I know I'm going to start out in the Intro level class, since it'll be my first show ever, I've only been riding for 2 1/2 years now, and only been jumping for about the last 2 months. So I'm very new to everything...so just going by my inexperience, I'd want to join the "Intro (Rider)" class.

HOWEVER, my horse was "green broke" when I got her 7 months ago so SHE is new to everything too! She just started learning to jump when I did, about 2 months ago. We've only been working on her dressage for 6-7 months now. She has also never been to a show before, so going on THAT I'd want to join the "Intro (Horse) class"!

I can only join 1 class, and I'm having a hard time choosing lol...here are the pro's and con's of each for me:

Intro (Horse):
* Pro - The judges are a little easier on the horse and the way she moves, which is good since my horse is so new to everything and her dressage isn't all that great yet.
* Pro - Most of the little kids will not join this class, they'll be in Intro (Rider) so I won't have to feel funny about competing against kids since I'm 29!
* Con - Professional riders often join this class to show their inexperienced horses, and obviously they'll be a LOT better than me and my inexperienced horse

Intro (Rider):
*Pro - The judges are more forgiving of the rider themselves since they're new to showing.
*Pro - Professional riders can't join this class
*Con - Not sure whether they separate ages or not, but if not, I'm going to feel very out of place and like I'm almost "cheating" competing against 8-year olds when I'm 29, since most of the kids tend to be in this class!

Which class do you think I should join?? :-|

Vidaloco 05-30-2009 10:08 AM

It would be great if you could do both, but I chose horse.

eventerdrew 05-30-2009 02:22 PM

Do the intro rider division. It is more likely that you will get a professional rider in the horse division than it is for you to compete against a schoolmaster. Have fun!

Solon 05-30-2009 02:26 PM

I'd choose rider. There's no shame in riding with the younger set! And you won't be expected to know more than the horse does!

MIEventer 05-31-2009 11:36 AM

Yep, most definately with what eventerdrew said.

I've ridden in both categories and the "Beginner Horse" classes are always more difficult with competition because you are up against people who've been in this field for a long time - riding greenies.

You are a Green Rider, and yes, while you are on a Green Horse - if I were your Coach I would put you in Green Rider because you will be up against riders of your level.

I have been to comps where there are 50 year olds in the Green Rider division - so what. Green is Green regardless. Education is Education regardless.

StormyBlues 05-31-2009 03:36 PM

I would say rider. I was in a rider class and they didn't seperate ages, and to tell you the truth, it was nice to see adults riding in the same class as me so I had someone to kinda look up to I guess!

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-31-2009 05:11 PM

Thanks everyone! My trainer told me to enter Intro (Rider) so I went ahead and did that, based on what he said and it seems like everyone else agrees on here for the most part, so I think I chose the right division! :-) We'll see June 21st though!!