The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Therapeutic Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/)
-   -   Great therapeutic riding results for PTSD, panic attacks, and anxiety... (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/great-therapeutic-riding-results-ptsd-panic-286794/)

MissUnsmiley 10-01-2013 10:04 PM

Great therapeutic riding results for PTSD, panic attacks, and anxiety...

Hi there. I'm a first time poster to the forum, and was just looking for somewhere to share my testimonial experience in hopes it could be of help to someone else who feels like nothing is working in their treatment...... I used to be there.

I suffer from PTSD and anxiety due to severe abuse suffered in childhood and later in a series of abusive relationships. I've done the whole self treating thing with alcohol and self-spoiling. When that didn't work, I did the traditional therapy thing. Nothing ever felt like it stuck until I started attending therapy horseback riding lessons at Dustin's Place in North Georgia.

I used to be so paralyzed with anxiety and panic attacks that I couldn't even drive around, and could barley handle getting myself to work. It was crippling my ability to settle in my new home after a major move, make new friends, and cope with all the huge changes in my life... to say nothing of the depression all of this caused.

Everything took a turn for the better when I started riding. My anxiety improved markedly, my crippling panic attacks have disappeared, I have gone off of prescribed panic medication, I can drive myself around the city no problem, and my social relationships are flourishing. To say the least, the effect was very marked and drastic for me.

While I don't promote the idea that therapeutic riding should be used to REPLACE traditional therapy... I believe that riding was the only thing that *REALLY* helped me heal, and was a catalyst to helping my work in traditional therapy really stick, so to speak.

I wonder if others have had similar experiences? Based on my results, I would highly encourage others to at least give therapeutic riding a chance.

If you're in my area, this is where I go. If you're elsewhere, some simple google searching would probably reveal some great local options.

Happy riding and healing,

M.U.

DuckDodgers 10-01-2013 10:36 PM

I think that therapeutic riding is a wonderful thing. I used to volunteer in high school with a lady that did therapeutic riding, and it was a very rewarding experience for all involved. Unfortunately the lady who ran the program was a bit difficult to deal with, so I haven't been working with them since :( If I had any spare time I would consider going back and volunteering with them, but alas...

While I mostly worked with children while I was there, I love being able to hear testimony from an adult who was helped so much by therapeutic riding. It's a wonderful thing, and I would recommend anyone that has spare time consider volunteering. The centers are also often looking for donations of used but in decent condition tack- if anyone has old stuff lying around that they don't plan to use or sell, ask a program if they could find any use out of it!!

DancingArabian 10-01-2013 11:30 PM

I think many if not most horse owners call their horse their therapist :) I know I can have the most awful of awful days and just making that turn onto the barn driveway makes me feel a LOT better. When I get to my horse and wrap my arms around his neck and give him a squeeze, the wickedness of the world melts away.

While I don't do "therapeutic riding" per se, I definitely get therapy from riding! A TON of us do!

Welcome and thank you for sharing :)

Skyseternalangel 10-01-2013 11:39 PM

Oh I'm so pleased that you gave it a go!

I used to be as you described, only worsened over time. When my horse came into my life, I became a different person. A better person.

I hope others get to experience this change too!

egrogan 10-03-2013 09:25 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. It's an inspiration to read.

hoiski 10-05-2013 02:02 AM

I also struggle with PTSD, anxiety, and depression from childhood abuse. I haven't done riding therapy, but I have been doing equine assisted psychotherapy and art therapy in addition to regular office therapy. I recommend them all. Each has helped me process and heal in different ways. Horses are AMAZING!
Posted via Mobile Device

Northern 10-05-2013 04:03 AM

Thanks for posting your testimony; I'm sure that it'll inspire & give hope to many! YAY, HORSES!

Deanie 10-07-2013 04:12 PM

therapeutic riding works!

I can tell you from personal experience that riding is wonderful for many types of handicaps. I wrote a story about my journey in horsemanship called Tails of Sweetbrier. You will see that perseverance is the key to success! I would encourage anyone to consider riding to benefit your disability. Amazing things can happen.

Deanie 10-07-2013 06:24 PM

Riding can certainly improve your mood! When I was little, it was my passion and I still love horses. I used to teach and ride, but now I write stories for children. All my books feature horses, and other animals. Some are told from the horse's point of view.
Anyone who would like to know about my books can reply to this email and ask whatever you like about them. You will find them under books by Deanie Humphrys-Dunne,

tayloranngenevieve 12-31-2013 06:28 PM

I don't take therapeutic riding lessons, but I do rise bareback very often and it melts all of the anxiety from my heart. I have severe anxiety and anything horse related makes me feel so much better, even mucking out stalls and doing feed. Being able to bond with horses is so amazing. They know how to calm you down.