The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help! Horse is Stubborn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-horse-stubborn-286802/)

selika01 10-01-2013 10:06 PM

Help! Horse is Stubborn

My horse is VERY stubborn! She Hardly listens to me! Some days are better some days are Harder. What do I do? I am doing Parelli Natural Horse Training. She is a Left-Brain Introvert.

Laventosahorses 10-01-2013 10:42 PM

I have a mare and she was a total brat when we got her. She was stubborn and she wanted to be the boss. U just need to let them know that you are the boss. Lunging is good. Look up lunging for respect by Clinton Anderson. But when he/she mis behaves dont let the
Get away with it. Hope i helped anythin else just message me:)
Posted via Mobile Device

EdmontonHorseGal 10-01-2013 10:50 PM

my first bit of advice would be to throw all of your parelli books and videos into the garbage. sorry, but that guy has taken things a bit far. a horse is a dang horse, lol, and the whole left/right brain thing is just too much. and from what i have seen and read, the parelli program turns out a lot of spoiled horses that walk all over their owners.

i would suggest finding a qualified trainer that can give you riding lessons on both your horse and another well trained horse. so that you can see the difference and know exactly when you are doing the right thing (the well trained horse will respond accordingly), and then transfer that skill over to your horse to teach her. if you don't know exactly what is needed for a certain result then it is very hard to train your mare to do it.

as for groundwork, if your mare pushes into your space or acts up - make her move her feet! make her realize that being a brat is going to result in her having to work, and then when she is respecting you, let her rest. rest is a horse's reward.

waresbear 10-01-2013 11:01 PM

^^^^What she said. Get help from an instructor, best money you will ever spend.

Thunderspark 10-02-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmontonHorseGal (Post 3772826)
my first bit of advice would be to throw all of your parelli books and videos into the garbage. sorry, but that guy has taken things a bit far. a horse is a dang horse, lol, and the whole left/right brain thing is just too much. and from what i have seen and read, the parelli program turns out a lot of spoiled horses that walk all over their owners.

i would suggest finding a qualified trainer that can give you riding lessons on both your horse and another well trained horse. so that you can see the difference and know exactly when you are doing the right thing (the well trained horse will respond accordingly), and then transfer that skill over to your horse to teach her. if you don't know exactly what is needed for a certain result then it is very hard to train your mare to do it.

as for groundwork, if your mare pushes into your space or acts up - make her move her feet! make her realize that being a brat is going to result in her having to work, and then when she is respecting you, let her rest. rest is a horse's reward.

I agree with them, I know people who have used Parelli and honestly it does not gain your horses respect at all.

I have followed Clinton Anderson's methods for about 8 yrs. now and all my horses have respect for me and have very good ground manners.

Find someone who can help you with your horse and teach it to respect you......

Northern 10-02-2013 02:35 AM

I'll be the voice of dissention here & say that I see no reason for you to switch horses in midstream (dump PNH), when they've got the data on how to best relate to an LBI! I suggest that you get that info & proceed to motivate your LBI with a treat instead of the fight that he's looking for, with humor (necessary with an LBI) & by making a game out of all of his strategies.

I find Horsenalities to be an awesome tool. With only 4 main types, it's easy yet effective. Klaus Hempfling has 26 types; that has seemed ponderous to me.

loosie 10-02-2013 05:02 AM

Hi,

I don't think the OP was asking for opinions on validity of PNH somehow, but I too have to say that considering the **original** PNH principles & basics(don't know much about their newer stuff & sounds like they've digressed a lot, got many... questionable beliefs & techniques since....), I think the *principles* are sound & helpful for beginners.

BUT it's people's tendency to take a bunch of instructions as the bible & follow them to a 't'. That doesn't work with horses, regardless of who's 'program' & you need to understand what you're doing, why you're doing it, etc, so you know when to be, when not to be, when to improvise, etc.

On that note, I have also read the Parelli's ideas about left/right brain & introvert/extroverts & I found this interesting & helpful to consider. BUT while horses can have certain tendencies, you can't stick them in a box under a single lable - they're not just one 'type' but these tendencies are part of their whole psychology.

Now, back to the original... OP you need to give more details of what your horse is stubborn about, what you do about it, etc to have more specific advice. But basically horses get 'stubborn' because they aren't motivated to do whatever & they have learned that persistence will make it 'go away'. So providing both positive reinforcement(reward Good Stuff) & negative reinforcement(removal of pressure) will motivate the horse to want to do as you ask, and outpersisting the horse(might take quite a while for a fair few times, given she's learned that persistence pays off) will teach her to do it without argument.

loosie 10-02-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderspark (Post 3773434)
I agree with them, I know people who have used Parelli and honestly it does not gain your horses respect at all.

I have followed Clinton Anderson's methods for about 8 yrs. now and all my horses have respect for me and have very good ground manners.

Just noticed this & had to comment that just because you've known people who have 'used Parelli' & it didn't work for them, doesn't mean to say the principles were at fault - maybe they were those type that want to follow a recipe approach without understanding.

And double curious that you compare the 'methods' to CA, of whom I consider has basically the same principles & approach(bearing in mind we're talking old stuff, not current PNH).

Thunderspark 10-02-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 3773946)
Just noticed this & had to comment that just because you've known people who have 'used Parelli' & it didn't work for them, doesn't mean to say the principles were at fault - maybe they were those type that want to follow a recipe approach without understanding.

And double curious that you compare the 'methods' to CA, of whom I consider has basically the same principles & approach(bearing in mind we're talking old stuff, not current PNH).

I didn't say the principal was at fault, I said it didn't work for them. Yes it may have been the way they were using the principal and it could have been the principal itself but either way it didn't work for them.

CA is not just playing with the horse, I feel PNH is more for someone who wants to play with their horse on the ground and it doesn't follow in the saddle.

Either way I prefer CA over PNH but that's just my opinion.....

jmike 10-02-2013 09:58 AM

i thought this was really helpful - and free

https://www.youtube.com/user/eXHorse...&shelf_index=2

so far i have been through the "effective horse training" playlist and the "horse training tips" playlist