The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Our first bounce! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/our-first-bounce-28702/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-30-2009 07:51 PM

Our first bounce!

Today was the first time we've ever attempted a "bounce" and it was so fun! Once we did the bounce a few times, my trainer added in an extra jump in front just for fun ;-) I'm so proud of what this mare has accomplished in such a short period of time, she just amazes me the way she takes on anything you throw at her!

Enjoy!!

rider4life422 05-30-2009 08:44 PM

That's so cool!! Don't forget to give yourself credit too! I know you just started jumping as well!! She is beautiful by the way!

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-30-2009 11:00 PM

Thanks rider4life!! :-) I know, this was MY first "bounce" too, but she did all the work really! ;-) I just kinda stayed in my 2-point most of it!

upnover 05-30-2009 11:57 PM

Congrats!! Bounces (and any gymnastics) in general are so wonderful for a horse's (and rider's!) jumping training! Props for doing it and doing it well!

JumpingJellyBean 05-31-2009 01:30 AM

Bounces are so much fun! :]

ChingazMyBoy 05-31-2009 02:23 AM

Congrats! How long have you been working with her?

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-31-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 317986)
Congrats! How long have you been working with her?

Thanks! :-) I got her 7 months ago, and have been working with her (with my trainer's help!) since then, but we just started jumping about 2 months ago (both of us haha!) I don't know what I'd do without my trainer...I've only been riding for 2 1/2 years, jumping for 2 months, so he's the reason we've both been able to come so far in such a short period of time. It's so fun learning with her!! :D

MIEventer 05-31-2009 12:29 PM

Great job on the bounce, and I know you've been jumping for such a short period of time - but I really want you to think about improving yourself so that you can bring out the best in your mare.

I really do think you need to go on the Lunge Line work allot on your seat, lower leg. And really work on where you should be while going over the fences.

I think you should slow down and take a few steps back. There is nothing wrong with where you are and be proud of your accomplishments - but I think you really need to solidify your form.

It isn't about going over a fence. It is about how well you go over that fence.

You definately have a brave and true hearted mare who trusts you. You two will go far together - but I worry that your coach isn't giving you the necessary fundamentals you need before you start rushing ahead.

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-31-2009 12:35 PM

Thanks MIEventer, and you're right. My coach is very big on the basics and lunge line lessons, etc. like you say...but I don't ever video tape those so all everyone on here ever sees is the "fun stuff" lol ;-) Maybe next time we're working on our dressage/my seat, I'll get him to video tape it for me!

He kinda did the bounce on a whim yesterday, we just started out the lesson just working on trotting poles and keeping ourselves straight over them, keeping legs on and still etc...that whole chute was actually just poles. Then after about an hour of that, he put up a little jump at the end, which turned into the bounce just to see what the horses would do, and so on. I know my form over the jumps in this video is not the best, he basically told me to just 2 point and release my hands for now, not to worry about bending as much for the bounce, just to give Sandie the practice doing something new (and myself for that matter haha!) :-)

You are so right about getting the basics down, and my trainer coaches like that, I just don't show it enough on here because I normally just have him video tape the cool new jumps lol!!

MIEventer 05-31-2009 12:38 PM

No shame in being proud of what you've done and I think the bounce was great for your self esteem.

Don't take me the wrong way - it is always great and enjoying to do something like that once in a while.

And I am positive that you are a competant rider with a great head on your shoulders.