The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Keeping a Paint/Pinto Clean? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/keeping-paint-pinto-clean-287154/)

Ale 10-02-2013 02:01 PM

Keeping a Paint/Pinto Clean?

Hey there guys and gals!
My first horse Dixie is coming home tomorrow! She is a double registered paint and pinto and well, she is more white then I would like in a horse. But color doesn't matter to me as long as she is my best friend. My question today is what can I do to keep her from looking like a miserable mud pony? I know that dirt isn't going to harm her as long as she is groomed before riding. What are somethings that I can do to keep her a little cleaner... Other then bathing her every single day. Do they make a spray or shampoo that helps dirt from sticking? What do you guys recommend for whitening shampoos and sprays? Just curious to know this information ahead of time :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-02-2013 02:27 PM

This: Healing Tree WOW! Whitener - Shampoos & Cleansers from SmartPak Equine

and this: Robin Hood Friar Tuck (Large)

and this: Adjusta-Fit® Dura-Nylon® V-Free

and this: StormShield® CONTOUR COLLAR Deluxe Euro Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery

and this: Dura-Tech® Waterproof/Breathable Tail Bag in Tail Bags / Protection at Schneider Saddlery

and these: Mane 'N Tail Spray N White Shampoo in Stain Removing / Spray-On at Schneider Saddlery

White 'N Brite in Stain Removing / Spray-On at Schneider Saddlery

Healthy HairCare® Hair Moisturizer in Coat Conditioners at Schneider Saddlery

and of course, a bunch of brushes, curries and combs.

Or you can forget all that, let her get dirty and bathe her before you're going to a show or before someone comes over to see her.:wink:

Ale 10-02-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 3777394)

Thanks so much for taking the time to share all of these links for me. I think she will be a mud horse most of the time. I am not going to show until the 2015 season; I am sure. During 2014 I am going to take lessons and train so I will be able to show in 2015. She is ready to show and she is amazing. But its me that will needs the training. Hehehe. Thanks again!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-02-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale (Post 3777434)
Thanks so much for taking the time to share all of these links for me. I think she will be a mud horse most of the time. I am not going to show until the 2015 season; I am sure. During 2014 I am going to take lessons and train so I will be able to show in 2015. She is ready to show and she is amazing. But its me that will needs the training. Hehehe. Thanks again!

You're welcome! Hang on to those links, when you start showing, you'll need them. I have/had several pintos with lots of white, currently have a cremello stallion, and I use all those products and then some during show season.

Ale 10-02-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 3777474)
You're welcome! Hang on to those links, when you start showing, you'll need them. I have/had several pintos with lots of white, currently have a cremello stallion, and I use all those products and then some during show season.

I will go ahead, print them out and file them away in my horse binder that I've created. :) I would say that Dixie is 70% white, so I am going to need all the products I can get when showing does happen for us. Thank you very kindly again :)

PaintHorseMares 10-02-2013 03:44 PM

White horses are born to roll in the mud, and we have lots of white here
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 10-02-2013 03:54 PM

Normal dirt tends to brush off quite easily - sometimes just a wipe over with a wet cloth or sponge - but not much more
Now the poop stains are another thing altogether, I like the Green Cowboy Magic stain remover about the best

Ale 10-02-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 3777882)
White horses are born to roll in the mud, and we have lots of white here
Posted via Mobile Device

That seems to be the case. They are like, oh we know we are white, let's make this harder for our owners ;)

Ale 10-02-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 3777994)
Normal dirt tends to brush off quite easily - sometimes just a wipe over with a wet cloth or sponge - but not much more
Now the poop stains are another thing altogether, I like the Green Cowboy Magic stain remover about the best

Yeah, poop seems to stick more then dirt does. I will also have to consider picking up some of the Cowboy Magic! Thanks :D

Saddlebag 10-02-2013 06:18 PM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. White and clean don't belong in the same sentence when it comes to horses.